Re: Ugly/slow startup

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 19, 2006
      On 19.12.2006, at 16:17, James Hague wrote:

      > 1. When gvim 7 starts, a small, entirely white window appears for a
      > second or so, then the window is replaced by the larger gvim window.
      > My gut feeling is that the window should be hidden until after it is
      > resized. Anyone try to fix this yet?

      Hmm... This is a double sided sword, on one hand it's good to have
      less flicker but on the other it's good to show user that something
      is really happening.

      At the moment there are lots of bigger issues with vim on OS X that
      should be solved, unfortunately I don't have the time to do much and
      the same problem seems to be common among the mac vim developers. But
      I'm sure this thing will be investigated later.

      > 2. gvim 7 is noticibly slower to start on my new MacBook than on my
      > two-year old Windows box. Anyone else notice this or is it just me?

      On my (almost) three year old PowerBook Vim 7 starts in about 3.5
      seconds. (warm startup, it would take somewhat more if it was a cold
      start). I had lots of other things running and my HD is *full*, those
      contribute negatively to the score.

      I know that it is quite common that applications start longer under
      OS X than under Windows, I gather there are some issues that make OS
      X a bit slower in that regard. If the thing you are seeing is just
      difference in operating systems or if there are other problems is
      hard to say.

      How long does it actually take to start? Have you got a long .vimrc
      file?

      Another thing to check is to make sure you are using Universal binary
      of Vim 7, starting PPC native binaries with Rosetta is much slower
      than running native binaries.

      Greetings,
      Jussi

    • James Hague
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
        > How long does it actually take to start? Have you got a long .vimrc
        > file?

        ~3 seconds on a recent MacBook (2GHz). On my Windows PC, it's ~0.5
        seconds. So it's not slow slow, but not snappy either. It's the same
        158 line .vimrc file on both machines.

        > Another thing to check is to make sure you are using Universal binary
        > of Vim 7, starting PPC native binaries with Rosetta is much slower
        > than running native binaries.

        I'm pretty sure I stripped the PPC code after I downloaded it, but
        I'll double check.
      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006
          On 20.12.2006, at 16:10, James Hague wrote:

          >> How long does it actually take to start? Have you got a long .vimrc
          >> file?
          >
          > ~3 seconds on a recent MacBook (2GHz). On my Windows PC, it's ~0.5
          > seconds. So it's not slow slow, but not snappy either. It's the same
          > 158 line .vimrc file on both machines.

          I actually redid my test and a warm start (vim already in disk cache)
          it took just 1.6s-2s (with/without 100 line .vimrc), I'm not sure why
          the difference to yesterday, maybe I've changed energy settings or
          have less other programs running.

          MacBook being slower than my G4 is surprising. Even given that
          your .vimrc is longer than mine I was expecting the start time to be
          much faster on Intel. I'm probably going to look at it as soon as I
          get my hands on an Intel Mac, unfortunately that will take some time :(

          In the mean time you could try to check if an empty .vimrc file makes
          any significant difference. If it does there's some OS X specific
          speed problems with the startup and we could look into that. If not
          it's some bigger thing :(

          Vim uses some older APIs that could (in theory) make even startup
          slower on Intel machines but that's just another guess.

          > I'm pretty sure I stripped the PPC code after I downloaded it, but
          > I'll double check.

          Having PPC code there should not do any harm as long as the OS does
          not start it as PPC application. But if it is even removed then my
          guess about Rosetta was not correct.

        • James Hague
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2006
            > MacBook being slower than my G4 is surprising. Even given that
            > your .vimrc is longer than mine I was expecting the start time to be
            > much faster on Intel. I'm probably going to look at it as soon as I
            > get my hands on an Intel Mac, unfortunately that will take some time :(

            I played with this a bit last night. The ~3 second start is only the
            when vim hasn't been run recently (isn't cached, etc). After that
            it's real quick: easily less than 0.5 seconds. I rarely notice this,
            because I tend to start up vim once and just keep using it. But even
            the 3 second initial start pales in comparison with the usefulness of
            having vim on the Mac :)

            James