Edit in Vim plugin

  • Chris Eidhof
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2006
      Hey everyone,

      one of the reasons why I was considering to switch to TextMate, was
      because of the "Edit in TextMate"-button the TM-users have. They can
      edit the text of any cocoa-text-widget in their favourite editor,
      just with a press of the button. Ofcourse, I've used vim heavily for
      a couple of years, and TM wasn't really a substitute, so I switched
      back to vim.

      Is there anyone with enough experience to build something like this?
      I think we need someone with heavy cocoa-experience? I'd love to see
      this feature, and I'm willing to help, but I have no experience with
      either cocoa-hacking or vim-hacking.

      Thanks,
      -chris
    • Rainer Schmid
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2006

        > one of the reasons why I was considering to switch to TextMate, was
        > because of the "Edit in TextMate"-button the TM-users have. They can
        > edit the text of any cocoa-text-widget in their favourite editor,
        > just with a press of the button. Ofcourse, I've used vim heavily for
        > a couple of years, and TM wasn't really a substitute, so I switched
        > back to vim.
        >
        > Is there anyone with enough experience to build something like this?
        > I think we need someone with heavy cocoa-experience? I'd love to see
        > this feature, and I'm willing to help, but I have no experience with
        > either cocoa-hacking or vim-hacking.

        If you google for this TextMate feature, you can actually find the link

        http://anon:anon@.../svn/Bundles/trunk/Tools/Edit%20in%20TextMate/

        which is actually the source code for it. I am not sure about the
        license of the sources (it doesn't say anything), so I don't know if
        one is allowed to simply take it and add vim support for it. But one
        can take it at least as an inspiration on how to do it in principal.

        Rainer
      • Chris Eidhof
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 23, 2006
          Wow, cool! I looked into the code for a bit, but I don't really
          understand what's happening. But hopefully I'm able to spend a sunday-
          afternoon on deciphering the code and build something alike for vim.
          If anyone wants to help, please let me know!

          Thanks,
          -chris
          On 20 Dec, 2006, at 10:02 , Rainer Schmid wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          >> one of the reasons why I was considering to switch to TextMate, was
          >> because of the "Edit in TextMate"-button the TM-users have. They can
          >> edit the text of any cocoa-text-widget in their favourite editor,
          >> just with a press of the button. Ofcourse, I've used vim heavily for
          >> a couple of years, and TM wasn't really a substitute, so I switched
          >> back to vim.
          >>
          >> Is there anyone with enough experience to build something like this?
          >> I think we need someone with heavy cocoa-experience? I'd love to see
          >> this feature, and I'm willing to help, but I have no experience with
          >> either cocoa-hacking or vim-hacking.
          >
          > If you google for this TextMate feature, you can actually find the
          > link
          >
          > http://anon:anon@.../svn/Bundles/trunk/Tools/Edit%20in%
          > 20TextMate/
          >
          > which is actually the source code for it. I am not sure about the
          > license of the sources (it doesn't say anything), so I don't know if
          > one is allowed to simply take it and add vim support for it. But one
          > can take it at least as an inspiration on how to do it in principal.
          >
          > Rainer
        • Jarimatti Valkonen
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 23, 2006
            Chris Eidhof kirjoitti 23.12.2006 kello 21.42:

            > Wow, cool! I looked into the code for a bit, but I don't really
            > understand what's happening. But hopefully I'm able to spend a
            > sunday-afternoon on deciphering the code and build something alike
            > for vim. If anyone wants to help, please let me know!

            See also Apple's documentation about the services menu (does Vim use
            Carbon bindings?):
            http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/appservices/

            Here's the corresponding Cocoa documentation:
            http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/SysServices/
            index.html

            HTH, and a Merry Christmas for everyone!

            -Jarimatti

            --
            Jarimatti Valkonen
            javalkon@...