Vim Regexes and Mac Newlines

  • jeffthewookiee
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
      I'm currently working with vi on OS X machines. I'd like to be able to use
      its regex support to quickly add newlines and format things nicely. However
      when I run something like this command:

      :%s/,/,\n/

      I end up with output like this:

      CourtDismissedCount3,^@

      Instead of nice newlines, I get ^@'s instead. Is there any way to fix this?
    • Bernhard Prümmer
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
        Am 13.12.2006 um 22:36 schrieb jeffthewookiee:

        > I'm currently working with vi on OS X machines. I'd like to be able
        > to use
        > its regex support to quickly add newlines and format things nicely.
        > However
        > when I run something like this command:
        >
        > :%s/,/,\n/
        >
        > I end up with output like this:
        >
        > CourtDismissedCount3,^@
        >
        > Instead of nice newlines, I get ^@'s instead. Is there any way to
        > fix this?
        > --

        What I do, and what has always worked for me is

        :%s/,/,^V^M/

        where ^V and ^M mean Ctrl-V and Ctrl-M.
        See
        :help i_CTRL-V
        on this.

        Cheers
        Bernhard
      • Marvin Humphrey
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2006
          > Am 13.12.2006 um 22:36 schrieb jeffthewookiee:
          >

          >> I'm currently working with vi on OS X machines. I'd like to be
          >> able to use
          >> its regex support to quickly add newlines and format things
          >> nicely. However
          >> when I run something like this command:
          >>
          >> :%s/,/,\n/
          >>
          >> I end up with output like this:
          >>
          >> CourtDismissedCount3,^@
          >>
          >> Instead of nice newlines, I get ^@'s instead. Is there any way to
          >> fix this?

          What happens if you try this?

          That works for me on gvim 6.3 for Mac. Seems wrong, but it puts in
          newlines.

          Marvin Humphrey
          Rectangular Research
          http://www.rectangular.com/