Re: Mac VIM Performance

  • Trenton Schulz
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006
      On Nov 21, 2006, at 11:28 PM, Ryan Phillips wrote:

      > I've been using GVim on the mac for a couple months now, and I'm not
      > impressed of the render time of the GVim window. It really feels
      > sluggish and doesn't match the performance of other OSX applications
      > (TextEdit, TextMate, etc).
      >
      > Does anyone know why this is?

      No, but the source is there, there could be many things. Shark and
      Quartz Debug are good tools to start with.

      > I was thinking about trying to upgrade CoreGraphics to use Quartz 2D
      > instead. Will this improve performance?

      Err... Quartz 2D is marketeze for CoreGraphics. AFAIK gvim on the mac
      uses QuickDraw anyway. I do know that it uses lots of compat ways of
      doing things (using event records instead of event refs) etc. Moving
      it over to HIView would help, but you would entirely have to change
      the way things are painted (HIView can only paint inside of its
      kEventControlDraw handler). That requires some discipline.

      Anyway, I don't want to discourage you, but realize that it's a
      larger project than you might expect.

      -- Trenton