Re: Mac VIM Performance

  • Nicolas Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006

      > Does anyone know why this is?

      I'm not sure, but Quartz Debug says that the vim window is redrawn
      several times in each screen update. This may be related to the fact
      that the text area is not a control, but the text is drawn directly
      onto the window.

      Nico
    • Trenton Schulz
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006
        On Nov 21, 2006, at 11:28 PM, Ryan Phillips wrote:

        > I've been using GVim on the mac for a couple months now, and I'm not
        > impressed of the render time of the GVim window. It really feels
        > sluggish and doesn't match the performance of other OSX applications
        > (TextEdit, TextMate, etc).
        >
        > Does anyone know why this is?

        No, but the source is there, there could be many things. Shark and
        Quartz Debug are good tools to start with.

        > I was thinking about trying to upgrade CoreGraphics to use Quartz 2D
        > instead. Will this improve performance?

        Err... Quartz 2D is marketeze for CoreGraphics. AFAIK gvim on the mac
        uses QuickDraw anyway. I do know that it uses lots of compat ways of
        doing things (using event records instead of event refs) etc. Moving
        it over to HIView would help, but you would entirely have to change
        the way things are painted (HIView can only paint inside of its
        kEventControlDraw handler). That requires some discipline.

        Anyway, I don't want to discourage you, but realize that it's a
        larger project than you might expect.

        -- Trenton