Mac VIM Performance

  • Ryan Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2006
      I've been using GVim on the mac for a couple months now, and I'm not
      impressed of the render time of the GVim window. It really feels
      sluggish and doesn't match the performance of other OSX applications
      (TextEdit, TextMate, etc).

      Does anyone know why this is?

      I was thinking about trying to upgrade CoreGraphics to use Quartz 2D
      instead. Will this improve performance?

      -Ryan
    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006

        > Does anyone know why this is?

        I'm not sure, but Quartz Debug says that the vim window is redrawn
        several times in each screen update. This may be related to the fact
        that the text area is not a control, but the text is drawn directly
        onto the window.

        Nico
      • Trenton Schulz
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2006
          On Nov 21, 2006, at 11:28 PM, Ryan Phillips wrote:

          > I've been using GVim on the mac for a couple months now, and I'm not
          > impressed of the render time of the GVim window. It really feels
          > sluggish and doesn't match the performance of other OSX applications
          > (TextEdit, TextMate, etc).
          >
          > Does anyone know why this is?

          No, but the source is there, there could be many things. Shark and
          Quartz Debug are good tools to start with.

          > I was thinking about trying to upgrade CoreGraphics to use Quartz 2D
          > instead. Will this improve performance?

          Err... Quartz 2D is marketeze for CoreGraphics. AFAIK gvim on the mac
          uses QuickDraw anyway. I do know that it uses lots of compat ways of
          doing things (using event records instead of event refs) etc. Moving
          it over to HIView would help, but you would entirely have to change
          the way things are painted (HIView can only paint inside of its
          kEventControlDraw handler). That requires some discipline.

          Anyway, I don't want to discourage you, but realize that it's a
          larger project than you might expect.

          -- Trenton