Character Palette does not work in GUI

  • Michail Vidiassov
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
      Dear All,
      I am running vim 7 with Mac gui (+multibyte) on MAc OS X 10.4.8
      In GUI mode no input from Character Palette is accepted
      (Ctrl-v u xxxx - works).

      Does it work for you? On 10.3 or 10.4?

      Sincerely, Michail
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
        On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 12:05:09PM +0300, Michail Vidiassov wrote:
        > Dear All,
        > I am running vim 7 with Mac gui (+multibyte) on MAc OS X 10.4.8
        > In GUI mode no input from Character Palette is accepted
        > (Ctrl-v u xxxx - works).
        >
        > Does it work for you? On 10.3 or 10.4?
        >
        > Sincerely, Michail

        I find that it works on Mac OS X 10.3.9 with vim 7.0 and

        :set enc=utf8

        and it does not work on Mac OS X 10.4.8 (vim 6.4 nor vim 7.0). I guess
        that Apple changed the way it works and no one here has yet implemented
        the new method.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Michail Vidiassov
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 13, 2006
          Dear All,

          On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > I find that it works on Mac OS X 10.3.9 with vim 7.0 and
          > it does not work on Mac OS X 10.4.8 (vim 6.4 nor vim 7.0). I guess
          > that Apple changed the way it works and no one here has yet implemented
          > the new method.

          It seems that is a known issue, a discussion on carbon-dev mailing list
          (http://lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-dev/2005/Jun/msg01332.html)
          resulted in the conclusion that starting with 10.4 application has to be
          "TSM-aware", initialise Text Services Manager by calling NewTSMDocument.
          Other changes are not required.

          Sincerely, Michail
        • Ned Konz
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 14, 2006
            Benji Fisher wrote:
            > On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:43:09PM +0300, Michail Vidiassov wrote:
            >> Dear All,
            >>
            >> On Mon, 13 Nov 2006, Benji Fisher wrote:
            >>> I find that it works on Mac OS X 10.3.9 with vim 7.0 and
            >>> it does not work on Mac OS X 10.4.8 (vim 6.4 nor vim 7.0). I guess
            >>> that Apple changed the way it works and no one here has yet implemented
            >>> the new method.
            >> It seems that is a known issue, a discussion on carbon-dev mailing list
            >> (http://lists.apple.com/archives/carbon-dev/2005/Jun/msg01332.html)
            >> resulted in the conclusion that starting with 10.4 application has to be
            >> "TSM-aware", initialise Text Services Manager by calling NewTSMDocument.
            >> Other changes are not required.
            >>
            >> Sincerely, Michail
            >
            > Can you be more specific about where and how to make the change? A
            > patch would be most helpful. I looked at the thread you quoted, but I
            > do not know enough to use the information there. (See my disclaimer at
            > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Credits .)
            >
            > --Benji Fisher

            Looks like a Japanese Mac developer has already done some work on this...

            I searched for {newtsmdocument vim} and found:

            for Vim 7.0?
            http://iplab.naist.jp/member/mio-su/dist/vim/inline0.2.diff

            For Vim 6.2?
            http://www.kaoriya.net/testdir/patches-vim/kaoriya-20040517.diff