*the* MacVim

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 12 , May 9, 2000
      * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
      > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
      > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
      > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
      > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
      > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
      > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.

      Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?

      Also, could we please decide on a
      MacVim to be *the* official one?

      I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:

      MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
      However, there are three sites with updates:
      Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
      and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
      Please let me know which version you are using.

      For me it means more work altogether:
      Maintain more info, keep more links,
      keep contact with ebern more people,
      and confuse the hell out of the users.

      I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
      your stuff together and decide on *one* person
      to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.

      I know this won't solve the requests for
      "please make me a binary with +perl"
      but then again it's Apple's problem that
      there they don't supply a free compiler..

      Sven
    • G. Mark Stewart
      Message 2 of 12 , May 9, 2000
        Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
        look at to show the differences between VIM and VI? Or are my
        own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
        As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
        that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
        which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

        Mark

        Sven Guckes wrote:

        > * Axel Kielhorn <Axel.noSpam@...> [000416 15:23]:
        > > >In my previous e-mails, I reported that changes on screen.c and
        > > >chartab.c were necessary to use Japanese. It turned out that by
        > > >setting "set isprint=@,~-255" those changes are unnecessary. (On
        > > >Windows, the above setting is the default. On Macintosh, it isn't.)
        > > This is a bug, 128 - 160 are printable, will be fixed in the next
        > > non-japanese release that I hope to prepare over the easter break.
        >
        > Well, was it possible for you to produce a new version?
        >
        > Also, could we please decide on a
        > MacVim to be *the* official one?
        >
        > I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
        >
        > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
        > However, there are three sites with updates:
        > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
        > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
        > Please let me know which version you are using.
        >
        > For me it means more work altogether:
        > Maintain more info, keep more links,
        > keep contact with ebern more people,
        > and confuse the hell out of the users.
        >
        > I'd *really* appreciate if you guys would get
        > your stuff together and decide on *one* person
        > to maintain *the* MacVim on ftp.vim.org.
        >
        > I know this won't solve the requests for
        > "please make me a binary with +perl"
        > but then again it's Apple's problem that
        > there they don't supply a free compiler..
        >
        > Sven
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 12 , May 9, 2000
          Mark Stewart wrote:

          > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
          > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?

          :help vi-differences

          > Or are my
          > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
          > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
          > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
          > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?

          This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
          perhaps?

          --
          This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.

        • Leedsnet
          Message 4 of 12 , May 9, 2000
            At 03:44 PM 5/9/00, Sven Guckes wrote:
            >I am getting sick of telling people this stuff:
            >
            > MacVim is available from every ftp mirror.
            > However, there are three sites with updates:
            > Obe by Dany St-Amant, obe by Axel Kielhorn,
            > and one by Kenichi Asai ("MacVim Japanese").
            > Please let me know which version you are using.

            I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim
            pages and have not been successful. Could you post
            a url where the full comte of what you are 'sick of telling
            people' can be found.

            I am also looking for a copy of a recent 'os_mac.c' I
            have been able to find or make for myself everything
            else.

            >I know this won't solve the requests for
            >"please make me a binary with +perl"
            >but then again it's Apple's problem that
            >there they don't supply a free compiler.

            Maybe they don't & may be they should, but you may
            find this < URL:http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/ >
            interesting.

            Ben.
            --
            Leedsnet - The information resource for Leeds and the West Riding
            < URL:http://www.leedsnet.com/ >
            Message 5 of 12 , May 9, 2000
              I'll check it out -- thanks!

              Mark

              Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Mark Stewart wrote:
              >
              > > Pardon the dumb question, but is there a single list I could
              > > look at to show the differences between VIM and VI?
              >
              > :help vi-differences
              >
              > > Or are my
              > > own differences likely due to something I've inadvertently set?
              > > As an example, I'm used to marking a line and then deleting to
              > > that mark, as in "ma" then move to another spot, and "d'a",
              > > which doesn't work in my VIM. Any other differences?
              >
              > This should work in Vim exactly like it does in Vi. Did you remap ' to `
              > perhaps?
              >
              > --
              > This is an airconditioned room, do not open Windows.
              >
              > /-/-- Bram Moolenaar --- Bram@... --- http://www.moolenaar.net --\-\
              > \-\-- Vim: http://www.vim.org ---- ICCF Holland: http://www.vim.org/iccf --/-/
            • david craig
              Message 6 of 12 , May 10, 2000
                Ben-
                On Tue, 9 May 2000, Leedsnet wrote:
                > I have tried to find an official MacVim site from the vim pages
                > and have not been successful. Could you post a url where the full
                > comte of what you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                What links I am aware of can be found on my core-dump of links at
                about

                <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/Marks/code.html#corporate>

                David

                <http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~dac/>
              • Sven Guckes
                Message 7 of 12 , May 10, 2000
                  * Leedsnet <info@...> [000510 08:31]:

                  http://www.vim.org/macs.html

                  > Could you post a url where the full comte of what
                  > you are 'sick of telling people' can be found.

                  I could put all this onto the webpage -
                  but so far I have refrained from doing so.
                  I hope that this "official" page can simply
                  say "get your MacVim from any ftp mirror"...

                  > >I know this won't solve the requests for
                  > >"please make me a binary with +perl"
                  > >but then again it's Apple's problem that
                  > >there they don't supply a free compiler.
                  > Maybe they don't & may be they should,
                  > but you may find [MPW] interesting.
                  > http://devworld.apple.com/tools/mpw-tools/

                  I have seen MPW - years ago.
                  Has it become any better?
                  I mean, has it become usable? ;-)
                  Anyone?

                  PS: "Ben/Leedsnet" - I had to "confirm"
                  your postings before they got onto the list.
                  So please subscribe if you want to post.
                  And fix the From: line to show your name.
                  Thanks!

                  Sven

                  --
                  Sven Guckes guckes@... --- Archive: http://www.egroups.com/list/vim-mac