Re: Autodetect encoding when using wget to edit html source in vim?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2006
      On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:26:34PM +0200, Peter Krantz wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > Here is a question from a VIM newbie:
      >
      > I am often using ":e http://www.example.com" when analyzing html
      > source. Most of the time, however, the encoding of the html is screwed
      > up when it appears in VIM.
      >
      > I am using VIM 7 on OS X 10.4.8 with wget to load the source. Does
      > anyone know if there is a way to make either VIM or wget autodetect
      > the character encoding used in the source?

      If 'fencs' is set to its default value and if the file has a BOM,
      then this should happen all by itself.

      :help 'fileencodings'
      :help 'bomb'

      If that does not help, I do not know anything that will, but I suggest
      that you follow up on the general vim list, since this is not a
      Mac-specific question.

      HTH --Benji Fisher