Re: embedding vim

  • Nicolas Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006

      > I am interested in embedding vim into a mac application I'm
      > writing. Is there any way to do this?
      >
      > I see that there's a vimplugin for eclipse that opens vim through
      > java terminal services. Could this be done in an OS X application?
      >
      > It also occurred to me that embedding vim through some subset of
      > the Terminal.app may be possible.
      >
      > has anyone done this?

      I'm working on porting mac vim to the 'modern' mac apis. When I'm
      done, you'll be able to use vim as a HIView. However, this will still
      take some time, and you'll be able to have only one vim control per
      app for now.

      HTH,
      Nico
    • Derrek Leute
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2006
        If I have some time, is there any way I can help? Having embedded vim
        is my "dream goal" for a text editor in mac applications.

        I'm interested in putting vim in insertmode (or possibly using Cream
        with OS X if possible) and having a few things controllable from the
        OS X application. Switching buffers based on some interface selection
        in the OS X application as well as saving, opening and closing. My
        interface otherwise acts as a semi-ide. I'd prefer one instance of
        VIM while just using buffers to switch files.

        The other thing I'd like to catch is the notification that tells you
        when a file on disk has changed. My application also changes files
        that the embedded vim may be editing. I need to always answer "yes,
        load the new file".

        Feel free to e-mail me off list to discuss this.

        --Derrek