Re: [macvim] modifiers should be applied to special keys too (patch)

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 4, 2006
      Nicolas -

      > > I tried the patch, but it appears that CTRL-F and CTRL-B no longer
      > > work
      > > in Normal mode. They do something in Insert mode after CTRL-V.
      >
      > CTRL-F and CTRL-B work for me in Normal mode (they scroll forward/
      > backward). I'm using mac gvim svn (patches 1-110) and the second
      > version of my patch.
      >
      > Can you give more detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem?

      I verified I had used your second patch and found a difference.
      CTRL-F and CTRL-B are working now.

      > > It looks like this patch needs more careful testing. Perhaps you
      > > should
      > > make a list of keys with various modifiers that need to be tried to
      > > verify the code works correctly.
      >
      > I made a small list ( http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/keyboard-
      > handling-patch.html ), I'll add further items as problems arise.

      Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably when
      doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
      Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

      Note that in Insert mode you can use CTRL-K and then a key to find out
      what Vim gets.

      - Bram

      --
      A consultant is a person who takes your money and annoys your employees while
      tirelessly searching for the best way to extend the consulting contract.

    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2006
        > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
        > when
        > doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
        > Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

        I can see it, I'll try to fix it tomorrow. I always use C-P for
        previous match (much easier to type imho ;-) ), so I didn't notice
        this...

        Bye,
        Nico
      • Nicolas Weber
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
          Hi,

          > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
          > when
          > doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
          > Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

          This is fixed in the attached patch.

          Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
          I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
          mac vim either).

          Bye,
          Nico
        • A.J.Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
            Nicolas Weber wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            >> Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably when
            >> doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
            >> Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.
            >
            > This is fixed in the attached patch.
            >
            > Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
            > I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current mac
            > vim either).
            >
            > Bye,
            > Nico

            IIUC, Shift-Space is supposed to be synonymous with Space. (When typing text,
            hitting the space bar produces a space regardless of whether you're typing
            lowercase or uppercase.) As for Meta-Space (aka Alt-Space), some OSes use it
            as a menu key, in which case it might be snatched away before Vim sees it.

            Best regards,
            Tony.
          • Bram Moolenaar
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
              Nicolas Weber wrote:

              > > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
              > > when doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match
              > > and Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.
              >
              > This is fixed in the attached patch.
              >
              > Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
              > I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
              > mac vim either).

              Thanks. I'll try it out.

              17. You turn on your intercom when leaving the room so you can hear if new
              e-mail arrives.

            • Nicolas Weber
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                Hi,

                >> This is fixed in the attached patch.
                >>
                >> Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
                >> I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
                >> mac vim either).
                >
                > Thanks. I'll try it out.

                I just noticed that this version of the patch breaks non-ascii
                unicode characters (umlauts for example). Damn. I'll try to write
                another fix to the shift-tab problem that doesn't break other stuff...

                Bye,
                Nico
              • Nicolas Weber
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                  Hi,

                  this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                  reported so far.

                  Bye,
                  Nico
                • Bram Moolenaar
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                    Nicolas Weber wrote:

                    > this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                    > reported so far.

                    Thanks. It appears to work for me.

                    --
                    A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                      On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 01:06:31PM +0200, Nicolas Weber wrote:
                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                      > reported so far.
                      >
                      > Bye,
                      > Nico

                      As usual, the patch was stripped from the vim-mac list, and I
                      uploaded a copy from the vim-dev list to
                      http://macvim.org/OSX/files/patches/keyevent.diff

                      --Benji Fisher