Color labels in finder

  • Ondřej Ševčík
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
      Hello folks,
      I would like to know, if it's possible to preserve color label for a
      file, which is edited by Vim? I was googling little bit around, but
      it seems like unsolvable problem. Vim is deleting file and than
      creating it again.

      Thanks in advance.

      Gillan.
    • David Morel
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
        Le 4 oct. 06 à 15:15, Ondřej Ševčík a écrit :

        > Hello folks,
        > I would like to know, if it's possible to preserve color label for
        > a file, which is edited by Vim? I was googling little bit around,
        > but it seems like unsolvable problem. Vim is deleting file and than
        > creating it again.
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Gillan.

        try:

        set backupcopy=yes

        in your .vimrc or .gvimrc

        David Morel <david.morel@...>
        -----------------------------------
        OpenPGP pubkey :
        http://www.amakuru.net/dmorel.asc
      • David Morel
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
          Le 4 oct. 06 à 15:15, Ondřej Ševčík a écrit :

          > Vim is deleting file and than creating it again.

          Not really : it suffixes the original with ~ and creates a new file.
          I found out when editing files with an ftp client, all the open
          handles were lost and the wrong files got transferred. I solved it
          with the option i mentioned in the previous post.

          David Morel <david.morel@...>
          -----------------------------------
          OpenPGP pubkey :
          http://www.amakuru.net/dmorel.asc
        • John Love-Jensen
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2006
            Hi Gillan,

            > Hello folks,
            > I would like to know, if it's possible to preserve color label for a
            > file, which is edited by Vim? I was googling little bit around, but
            > it seems like unsolvable problem. Vim is deleting file and than
            > creating it again.
            >
            > Thanks in advance.

            From http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php

            6. How can I keep file creators and other meta data when I save a file with
            vim?

            If you

            :set backupcopy=yes

            then you can edit files with Vim without changing their creator codes, so
            that opening them from the Finder will still launch the application that
            created them. New files that you write with Vim will still get Vim's creator
            code. For details, read

            :help 'backupcopy'

            HTH,
            --Eljay