Re: [macvim] modifiers should be applied to special keys too (patch)

  • Nicolas Weber
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2006

      > I tried the patch, but it appears that CTRL-F and CTRL-B no longer
      > work
      > in Normal mode. They do something in Insert mode after CTRL-V.

      CTRL-F and CTRL-B work for me in Normal mode (they scroll forward/
      backward). I'm using mac gvim svn (patches 1-110) and the second
      version of my patch.

      Can you give more detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem?

      > It looks like this patch needs more careful testing. Perhaps you
      > should
      > make a list of keys with various modifiers that need to be tried to
      > verify the code works correctly.

      I made a small list ( http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/keyboard-
      handling-patch.html ), I'll add further items as problems arise.

      Bye,
      Nico
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 4, 2006
        Nicolas -

        > > I tried the patch, but it appears that CTRL-F and CTRL-B no longer
        > > work
        > > in Normal mode. They do something in Insert mode after CTRL-V.
        >
        > CTRL-F and CTRL-B work for me in Normal mode (they scroll forward/
        > backward). I'm using mac gvim svn (patches 1-110) and the second
        > version of my patch.
        >
        > Can you give more detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem?

        I verified I had used your second patch and found a difference.
        CTRL-F and CTRL-B are working now.

        > > It looks like this patch needs more careful testing. Perhaps you
        > > should
        > > make a list of keys with various modifiers that need to be tried to
        > > verify the code works correctly.
        >
        > I made a small list ( http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/keyboard-
        > handling-patch.html ), I'll add further items as problems arise.

        Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably when
        doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
        Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

        Note that in Insert mode you can use CTRL-K and then a key to find out
        what Vim gets.

        - Bram

        --
        A consultant is a person who takes your money and annoys your employees while
        tirelessly searching for the best way to extend the consulting contract.

      • Nicolas Weber
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 4, 2006
          > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
          > when
          > doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
          > Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

          I can see it, I'll try to fix it tomorrow. I always use C-P for
          previous match (much easier to type imho ;-) ), so I didn't notice
          this...

          Bye,
          Nico
        • Nicolas Weber
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006

            > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
            > when
            > doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
            > Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

            This is fixed in the attached patch.

            Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
            I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
            mac vim either).

            Bye,
            Nico
          • A.J.Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
              Nicolas Weber wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              >> Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably when
              >> doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
              >> Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.
              >
              > This is fixed in the attached patch.
              >
              > Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
              > I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current mac
              > vim either).
              >
              > Bye,
              > Nico

              IIUC, Shift-Space is supposed to be synonymous with Space. (When typing text,
              hitting the space bar produces a space regardless of whether you're typing
              lowercase or uppercase.) As for Meta-Space (aka Alt-Space), some OSes use it
              as a menu key, in which case it might be snatched away before Vim sees it.

              Best regards,
              Tony.
            • Bram Moolenaar
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
                Nicolas Weber wrote:

                > > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
                > > when doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match
                > > and Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.
                >
                > This is fixed in the attached patch.
                >
                > Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
                > I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
                > mac vim either).

                Thanks. I'll try it out.

                17. You turn on your intercom when leaving the room so you can hear if new
                e-mail arrives.

              • Nicolas Weber
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006

                  >> This is fixed in the attached patch.
                  >>
                  >> Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
                  >> I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
                  >> mac vim either).
                  >
                  > Thanks. I'll try it out.

                  I just noticed that this version of the patch breaks non-ascii
                  unicode characters (umlauts for example). Damn. I'll try to write
                  another fix to the shift-tab problem that doesn't break other stuff...

                  Bye,
                  Nico
                • Nicolas Weber
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006

                    this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                    reported so far.

                    Bye,
                    Nico
                  • Bram Moolenaar
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                      Nicolas Weber wrote:

                      > this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                      > reported so far.

                      Thanks. It appears to work for me.

                      --
                      A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                        On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 01:06:31PM +0200, Nicolas Weber wrote:
                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                        > reported so far.
                        >
                        > Bye,
                        > Nico

                        As usual, the patch was stripped from the vim-mac list, and I
                        uploaded a copy from the vim-dev list to
                        http://macvim.org/OSX/files/patches/keyevent.diff

                        --Benji Fisher