Re: [macvim] modifiers should be applied to special keys too (patch)

  • Bram Moolenaar
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 3, 2006
      Nicolas Weber wrote:

      > > Hmmm… I’m having a problem. Ctrl-A, ctrl-e, ctrl-k, ctrl-u, etc.
      > > don’t seem to work anymore. I have these lines in my vimrc:
      >
      > The attached patch should fix this problem as well (again the diff is
      > against vim svn).
      >
      > The problem was that chars like ^A (ctrl-a) were sent with
      > MOD_MASK_CTRL set. I worked around this by adding the lines
      > /* remove CTRL from keys that already have it */
      > if (key_char < 0x20)
      > vimModifiers &= ~MOD_MASK_CTRL;
      >
      > I don't know if this the right solution, but it works. At least on my
      > system. :-P

      I tried the patch, but it appears that CTRL-F and CTRL-B no longer work
      in Normal mode. They do something in Insert mode after CTRL-V.

      It looks like this patch needs more careful testing. Perhaps you should
      make a list of keys with various modifiers that need to be tried to
      verify the code works correctly.

      --
      Engineers are always delighted to share wisdom, even in areas in which they
      have no experience whatsoever. Their logic provides them with inherent

    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 3, 2006
        Hi,

        > I tried the patch, but it appears that CTRL-F and CTRL-B no longer
        > work
        > in Normal mode. They do something in Insert mode after CTRL-V.

        CTRL-F and CTRL-B work for me in Normal mode (they scroll forward/
        backward). I'm using mac gvim svn (patches 1-110) and the second
        version of my patch.

        Can you give more detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem?

        > It looks like this patch needs more careful testing. Perhaps you
        > should
        > make a list of keys with various modifiers that need to be tried to
        > verify the code works correctly.

        I made a small list ( http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/keyboard-
        handling-patch.html ), I'll add further items as problems arise.

        Bye,
        Nico
      • Bram Moolenaar
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 4, 2006
          Nicolas -

          > > I tried the patch, but it appears that CTRL-F and CTRL-B no longer
          > > work
          > > in Normal mode. They do something in Insert mode after CTRL-V.
          >
          > CTRL-F and CTRL-B work for me in Normal mode (they scroll forward/
          > backward). I'm using mac gvim svn (patches 1-110) and the second
          > version of my patch.
          >
          > Can you give more detailed instructions on how to reproduce the problem?

          I verified I had used your second patch and found a difference.
          CTRL-F and CTRL-B are working now.

          > > It looks like this patch needs more careful testing. Perhaps you
          > > should
          > > make a list of keys with various modifiers that need to be tried to
          > > verify the code works correctly.
          >
          > I made a small list ( http://macvim.blogspot.com/2006/10/keyboard-
          > handling-patch.html ), I'll add further items as problems arise.

          Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably when
          doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
          Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

          Note that in Insert mode you can use CTRL-K and then a key to find out
          what Vim gets.

          - Bram

          --
          A consultant is a person who takes your money and annoys your employees while
          tirelessly searching for the best way to extend the consulting contract.

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 4, 2006
            > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
            > when
            > doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
            > Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

            I can see it, I'll try to fix it tomorrow. I always use C-P for
            previous match (much easier to type imho ;-) ), so I didn't notice
            this...

            Bye,
            Nico
          • Nicolas Weber
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
              Hi,

              > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
              > when
              > doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
              > Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.

              This is fixed in the attached patch.

              Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
              I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
              mac vim either).

              Bye,
              Nico
            • A.J.Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
                Nicolas Weber wrote:
                > Hi,
                >
                >> Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably when
                >> doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match and
                >> Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.
                >
                > This is fixed in the attached patch.
                >
                > Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
                > I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current mac
                > vim either).
                >
                > Bye,
                > Nico

                IIUC, Shift-Space is supposed to be synonymous with Space. (When typing text,
                hitting the space bar produces a space regardless of whether you're typing
                lowercase or uppercase.) As for Meta-Space (aka Alt-Space), some OSes use it
                as a menu key, in which case it might be snatched away before Vim sees it.

                Best regards,
                Tony.
              • Bram Moolenaar
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 6, 2006
                  Nicolas Weber wrote:

                  > > Here is one key that doesn't work for me: Shift-Tab. Most notably
                  > > when doing command line completion, where Tab gets the next match
                  > > and Shift-Tab goes to the previous match.
                  >
                  > This is fixed in the attached patch.
                  >
                  > Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
                  > I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
                  > mac vim either).

                  Thanks. I'll try it out.

                  17. You turn on your intercom when leaving the room so you can hear if new
                  e-mail arrives.

                • Nicolas Weber
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 10, 2006
                    Hi,

                    >> This is fixed in the attached patch.
                    >>
                    >> Another key that's still not working is Shift-Space (or Meta-Space).
                    >> I'll take care of that later (but that doesn't work in the current
                    >> mac vim either).
                    >
                    > Thanks. I'll try it out.

                    I just noticed that this version of the patch breaks non-ascii
                    unicode characters (umlauts for example). Damn. I'll try to write
                    another fix to the shift-tab problem that doesn't break other stuff...

                    Bye,
                    Nico
                  • Nicolas Weber
                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                      Hi,

                      this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                      reported so far.

                      Bye,
                      Nico
                    • Bram Moolenaar
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                        Nicolas Weber wrote:

                        > this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                        > reported so far.

                        Thanks. It appears to work for me.

                        --
                        A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 15, 2006
                          On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 01:06:31PM +0200, Nicolas Weber wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > this version of the key event patch fixes all problems that were
                          > reported so far.
                          >
                          > Bye,
                          > Nico

                          As usual, the patch was stripped from the vim-mac list, and I
                          uploaded a copy from the vim-dev list to
                          http://macvim.org/OSX/files/patches/keyevent.diff

                          --Benji Fisher