Autodetect encoding when using wget to edit html source in vim?

  • Peter Krantz
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2006
      Hi!

      Here is a question from a VIM newbie:

      I am often using ":e http://www.example.com" when analyzing html
      source. Most of the time, however, the encoding of the html is screwed
      up when it appears in VIM.

      I am using VIM 7 on OS X 10.4.8 with wget to load the source. Does
      anyone know if there is a way to make either VIM or wget autodetect
      the character encoding used in the source?

      Regards,

      Peter
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2006
        On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 02:26:34PM +0200, Peter Krantz wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > Here is a question from a VIM newbie:
        >
        > I am often using ":e http://www.example.com" when analyzing html
        > source. Most of the time, however, the encoding of the html is screwed
        > up when it appears in VIM.
        >
        > I am using VIM 7 on OS X 10.4.8 with wget to load the source. Does
        > anyone know if there is a way to make either VIM or wget autodetect
        > the character encoding used in the source?

        If 'fencs' is set to its default value and if the file has a BOM,
        then this should happen all by itself.

        :help 'fileencodings'
        :help 'bomb'

        If that does not help, I do not know anything that will, but I suggest
        that you follow up on the general vim list, since this is not a
        Mac-specific question.

        HTH --Benji Fisher