Re: selecting w/ keyboard not working (OSX 10.4/PPC, ViM 7.0 May 8 '06)

  • Nicolas Weber
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2006
      Hi Matthew,

      > Any help on getting keyboard selecting working on my Powerbook would
      > be very appreciated -- selecting with a trackpad is /not/ fun.

      This looks like a Vim bug. If you hit C-V S-Right in insert mode,
      only <Right> is inserted. It seems the modifier keys are not detected
      for cursor keys. I'll see if I can fix this.

      In the meantime, you can use visual mode to select text: hit v in
      normal mode to start selection, move the cursor with your favourite
      movement commands (w, fx, etc) and end selection with esc or a visual
      mode command. Instead of v you can also hit V for linewise selection
      and C-v for blockwise selection.

      Bye,
      Nico
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 22, 2006
        On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 07:49:31AM +0200, Nicolas Weber wrote:
        > Hi Matthew,
        >
        > >Any help on getting keyboard selecting working on my Powerbook would
        > >be very appreciated -- selecting with a trackpad is /not/ fun.
        >
        > This looks like a Vim bug. If you hit C-V S-Right in insert mode,
        > only <Right> is inserted. It seems the modifier keys are not detected
        > for cursor keys. I'll see if I can fix this.
        >
        > In the meantime, you can use visual mode to select text: hit v in
        > normal mode to start selection, move the cursor with your favourite
        > movement commands (w, fx, etc) and end selection with esc or a visual
        > mode command. Instead of v you can also hit V for linewise selection
        > and C-v for blockwise selection.

        Once you have the region you want selected in Visual mode, you can
        use "c" or "s" (without the quotes) to delete it and enter Insert mode.
        If you really want Select mode for some reason, you can use <C-G>.

        HTH --Benji Fisher