selecting w/ keyboard not working (OSX 10.4/PPC, ViM 7.0 May 8 '06)

  • Matthew Jenove
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 21, 2006
      I cannot get keyboard selecting to work with gVim 7 on my Powerbook; I
      am running OS X 10.4/PPC and Vim 7.0/PPC built on May 8 2006 by Benji
      Fisher. I've tried searching the archives and the web for a solution,
      to no avail.

      I have looked at the help files and section 13 of the option-window,
      and I'm pretty sure keyboard selecting should work. I added

      set slm=mouse,key km=startsel,stopsel

      to my .gvimrc to make sure that those settings were correct, and I
      still cannot select text with my keyboard.

      Based on my reading of the "Select mode" section of visual.txt,
      selecting text with the mouse and then pressing <S-[arrow key]> should
      extend the selection, while hitting just <[arrow key]> should stop
      select mode. What I am experiencing is that select mode stops
      whenever I use the arrow keys, with or without shit being held down.
      This leaves me wondering: is the shift key being detected when used
      with the arrow keys?

      Any help on getting keyboard selecting working on my Powerbook would
      be very appreciated -- selecting with a trackpad is /not/ fun.

      Best regards,
      matthew jenove
    • Nicolas Weber
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 21, 2006
        Hi Matthew,

        > Any help on getting keyboard selecting working on my Powerbook would
        > be very appreciated -- selecting with a trackpad is /not/ fun.

        This looks like a Vim bug. If you hit C-V S-Right in insert mode,
        only <Right> is inserted. It seems the modifier keys are not detected
        for cursor keys. I'll see if I can fix this.

        In the meantime, you can use visual mode to select text: hit v in
        normal mode to start selection, move the cursor with your favourite
        movement commands (w, fx, etc) and end selection with esc or a visual
        mode command. Instead of v you can also hit V for linewise selection
        and C-v for blockwise selection.

        Bye,
        Nico
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 22, 2006
          On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 07:49:31AM +0200, Nicolas Weber wrote:
          > Hi Matthew,
          >
          > >Any help on getting keyboard selecting working on my Powerbook would
          > >be very appreciated -- selecting with a trackpad is /not/ fun.
          >
          > This looks like a Vim bug. If you hit C-V S-Right in insert mode,
          > only <Right> is inserted. It seems the modifier keys are not detected
          > for cursor keys. I'll see if I can fix this.
          >
          > In the meantime, you can use visual mode to select text: hit v in
          > normal mode to start selection, move the cursor with your favourite
          > movement commands (w, fx, etc) and end selection with esc or a visual
          > mode command. Instead of v you can also hit V for linewise selection
          > and C-v for blockwise selection.

          Once you have the region you want selected in Visual mode, you can
          use "c" or "s" (without the quotes) to delete it and enter Insert mode.
          If you really want Select mode for some reason, you can use <C-G>.

          HTH --Benji Fisher