Re: Text edit versus vi on some files

  • Ned Konz
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 20, 2006
      Brian McKee wrote:

      > This should be reproducable on any Mac
      >>
      >> cd /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj
      >> file Localizable.strings
      >> Localizable.strings: Big-endian UTF-16 Unicode C program character data
      >
      > If I open that file in vim I get
      > ??^@/^@*^@ ^@=^@=^@=^@=^@=^@ ^@F^@i^@l^@e^@n^@a^@m^@e^@s
      > but Text Edit displays it correctly.
      >
      > Can vi handle this type of file? If so, how?

      Yes. If you have your "fileencodings" set right, it should just work.

      Try (in your .vimrc)

      set fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,default,latin1

      if you have ucs-bom,utf-8 at the beginning of fileencodings then the
      marker bytes that are at the beginning of the Unicode files will be used
      to decide on 'fileencoding'.

      --
      Ned Konz
      ned@...