Re: Re: Running vim -y from Terminal

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
      On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:09:36AM -0400, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
      > On 9/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > If you are not using that shell script, what *does*
      > >
      > >$ vim
      > >
      > >invole? Try
      > >
      > >$ which vim
      > >$ vim --version
      > >
      > >to figure it out.
      > >
      > >HTH --Benji Fisher
      > >
      > I should have clarified which version of vim I am using. I compiled
      > from the source. When I invoke "vim -y" from the command line, it
      > doesn't use the "script", but when I do "gvim -y" it does use the
      > script and everything seems to work. When I issue the command "vim
      > -y" that is where I have problems. I am really more interested in why
      > this happens than trying to find a solution to the problem.

      If you compiled yourself, how did you install it? By default,

      $ cd vim70/src
      $ make

      on the Mac will create src/Vim.app . Did you also do

      $ make install

      or some such? Or do you have some other way of creating something that
      your shell recognizes as "vim"? Again, what does

      $ vim --version

      report?

      > Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but… When I use gvim on a Linux
      > machine, it has lots of buttons and such for opening/saving a file and
      > copying/pasting. Now I wouldn't normally use those buttons, but
      > someone else in my family might. Do these exist in the cocoa mac
      > version?

      There is no Cocoa version of vim. AFAIK the toolbar is not
      implemented in the Carbon version.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Jeremy Conlin
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
        On 9/6/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
        > If you compiled yourself, how did you install it? By default,
        >
        > $ cd vim70/src
        > $ make
        >
        > on the Mac will create src/Vim.app . Did you also do
        >
        > $ make install
        >
        > or some such? Or do you have some other way of creating something that
        > your shell recognizes as "vim"? Again, what does
        >
        > $ vim --version
        >
        > report?

        When I compiled vim, I did the standard installation procedure
        ./configure (plus options)
        make
        sudo make install

        $vim --version
        VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Aug 31 2006 22:07:02)
        MacOS X (unix) version
        Compiled by jlconlin@...
        Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
        +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
        -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
        +cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
        +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
        +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
        +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
        +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
        -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
        -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile
        +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
        -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
        -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
        +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
        +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
        -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
        system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
        user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
        user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
        system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
        user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
        fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
        Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC
        -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
        -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp
        -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O
        -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
        Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon
        -lncurses -liconv -framework Python

        Thanks,
        Jeremy