Re: Re: Running vim -y from Terminal

  • Jeremy Conlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
      On 9/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:34:38PM -0400, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
      > > I just tried running evim (vim -y) from the Terminal. It opened a
      > > window in the background that looked like gvim. However I couldn't
      > > select it and thus couldn't type anything in it. I could minimize and
      > > close the window from the buttons in the upper left corner. Can
      > > anyone shed some light on this? Why can't I use this?
      > > Thanks,
      > > Jeremy
      >
      > It works for me. (At least, vim -y works; my shell does not
      > recognize evim.)
      >
      > If you are using a version of vim from
      > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php
      > then
      >
      > $ vim
      >
      > invokes the shell script at http://macvim.org/OSX/files/gvim
      > (At least, if you have followed the installation suggestions.) It may
      > help to get the current version of this script, and link to it as vim,
      > gvim, view, etc. (I guess I do not have a link as evim; maybe it would
      > work if I did.)
      >
      > If you are not using that shell script, what *does*
      >
      > $ vim
      >
      > invole? Try
      >
      > $ which vim
      > $ vim --version
      >
      > to figure it out.
      >
      > HTH --Benji Fisher
      >
      > P.S. You might also try
      >
      > $ gvim -y
      >
      > or some variant of that.

      I should have clarified which version of vim I am using. I compiled
      from the source. When I invoke "vim -y" from the command line, it
      doesn't use the "script", but when I do "gvim -y" it does use the
      script and everything seems to work. When I issue the command "vim
      -y" that is where I have problems. I am really more interested in why
      this happens than trying to find a solution to the problem.

      Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but… When I use gvim on a Linux
      machine, it has lots of buttons and such for opening/saving a file and
      copying/pasting. Now I wouldn't normally use those buttons, but
      someone else in my family might. Do these exist in the cocoa mac
      version?
      Thanks,
      Jeremy
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
        On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:09:36AM -0400, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
        > On 9/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > If you are not using that shell script, what *does*
        > >
        > >$ vim
        > >
        > >invole? Try
        > >
        > >$ which vim
        > >$ vim --version
        > >
        > >to figure it out.
        > >
        > >HTH --Benji Fisher
        > >
        > I should have clarified which version of vim I am using. I compiled
        > from the source. When I invoke "vim -y" from the command line, it
        > doesn't use the "script", but when I do "gvim -y" it does use the
        > script and everything seems to work. When I issue the command "vim
        > -y" that is where I have problems. I am really more interested in why
        > this happens than trying to find a solution to the problem.

        If you compiled yourself, how did you install it? By default,

        $ cd vim70/src
        $ make

        on the Mac will create src/Vim.app . Did you also do

        $ make install

        or some such? Or do you have some other way of creating something that
        your shell recognizes as "vim"? Again, what does

        $ vim --version

        report?

        > Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but… When I use gvim on a Linux
        > machine, it has lots of buttons and such for opening/saving a file and
        > copying/pasting. Now I wouldn't normally use those buttons, but
        > someone else in my family might. Do these exist in the cocoa mac
        > version?

        There is no Cocoa version of vim. AFAIK the toolbar is not
        implemented in the Carbon version.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Jeremy Conlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
          On 9/6/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
          > If you compiled yourself, how did you install it? By default,
          >
          > $ cd vim70/src
          > $ make
          >
          > on the Mac will create src/Vim.app . Did you also do
          >
          > $ make install
          >
          > or some such? Or do you have some other way of creating something that
          > your shell recognizes as "vim"? Again, what does
          >
          > $ vim --version
          >
          > report?

          When I compiled vim, I did the standard installation procedure
          ./configure (plus options)
          make
          sudo make install

          $vim --version
          VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Aug 31 2006 22:07:02)
          MacOS X (unix) version
          Compiled by jlconlin@...
          Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
          +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
          -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
          +cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
          +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
          +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
          +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
          +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
          -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
          -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile
          +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
          -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
          -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
          +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
          +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
          -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
          system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
          user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
          user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
          system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
          user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
          fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
          Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC
          -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
          -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp
          -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O
          -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
          Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon
          -lncurses -liconv -framework Python

          Thanks,
          Jeremy