Running vim -y from Terminal

  • Jeremy Conlin
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
      I just tried running evim (vim -y) from the Terminal. It opened a
      window in the background that looked like gvim. However I couldn't
      select it and thus couldn't type anything in it. I could minimize and
      close the window from the buttons in the upper left corner. Can
      anyone shed some light on this? Why can't I use this?
      Thanks,
      Jeremy
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
        On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:34:38PM -0400, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
        > I just tried running evim (vim -y) from the Terminal. It opened a
        > window in the background that looked like gvim. However I couldn't
        > select it and thus couldn't type anything in it. I could minimize and
        > close the window from the buttons in the upper left corner. Can
        > anyone shed some light on this? Why can't I use this?
        > Thanks,
        > Jeremy

        It works for me. (At least, vim -y works; my shell does not
        recognize evim.)

        If you are using a version of vim from
        http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php
        then

        $ vim

        invokes the shell script at http://macvim.org/OSX/files/gvim
        (At least, if you have followed the installation suggestions.) It may
        help to get the current version of this script, and link to it as vim,
        gvim, view, etc. (I guess I do not have a link as evim; maybe it would
        work if I did.)

        If you are not using that shell script, what *does*

        $ vim

        invole? Try

        $ which vim
        $ vim --version

        to figure it out.

        HTH --Benji Fisher

        P.S. You might also try

        $ gvim -y

        or some variant of that.
      • Jeremy Conlin
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2006
          On 9/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
          > On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 02:34:38PM -0400, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
          > > I just tried running evim (vim -y) from the Terminal. It opened a
          > > window in the background that looked like gvim. However I couldn't
          > > select it and thus couldn't type anything in it. I could minimize and
          > > close the window from the buttons in the upper left corner. Can
          > > anyone shed some light on this? Why can't I use this?
          > > Thanks,
          > > Jeremy
          >
          > It works for me. (At least, vim -y works; my shell does not
          > recognize evim.)
          >
          > If you are using a version of vim from
          > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php
          > then
          >
          > $ vim
          >
          > invokes the shell script at http://macvim.org/OSX/files/gvim
          > (At least, if you have followed the installation suggestions.) It may
          > help to get the current version of this script, and link to it as vim,
          > gvim, view, etc. (I guess I do not have a link as evim; maybe it would
          > work if I did.)
          >
          > If you are not using that shell script, what *does*
          >
          > $ vim
          >
          > invole? Try
          >
          > $ which vim
          > $ vim --version
          >
          > to figure it out.
          >
          > HTH --Benji Fisher
          >
          > P.S. You might also try
          >
          > $ gvim -y
          >
          > or some variant of that.

          I should have clarified which version of vim I am using. I compiled
          from the source. When I invoke "vim -y" from the command line, it
          doesn't use the "script", but when I do "gvim -y" it does use the
          script and everything seems to work. When I issue the command "vim
          -y" that is where I have problems. I am really more interested in why
          this happens than trying to find a solution to the problem.

          Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but… When I use gvim on a Linux
          machine, it has lots of buttons and such for opening/saving a file and
          copying/pasting. Now I wouldn't normally use those buttons, but
          someone else in my family might. Do these exist in the cocoa mac
          version?
          Thanks,
          Jeremy
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
            On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:09:36AM -0400, Jeremy Conlin wrote:
            > On 9/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > If you are not using that shell script, what *does*
            > >
            > >$ vim
            > >
            > >invole? Try
            > >
            > >$ which vim
            > >$ vim --version
            > >
            > >to figure it out.
            > >
            > >HTH --Benji Fisher
            > >
            > I should have clarified which version of vim I am using. I compiled
            > from the source. When I invoke "vim -y" from the command line, it
            > doesn't use the "script", but when I do "gvim -y" it does use the
            > script and everything seems to work. When I issue the command "vim
            > -y" that is where I have problems. I am really more interested in why
            > this happens than trying to find a solution to the problem.

            If you compiled yourself, how did you install it? By default,

            $ cd vim70/src
            $ make

            on the Mac will create src/Vim.app . Did you also do

            $ make install

            or some such? Or do you have some other way of creating something that
            your shell recognizes as "vim"? Again, what does

            $ vim --version

            report?

            > Perhaps this is not the place to ask, but… When I use gvim on a Linux
            > machine, it has lots of buttons and such for opening/saving a file and
            > copying/pasting. Now I wouldn't normally use those buttons, but
            > someone else in my family might. Do these exist in the cocoa mac
            > version?

            There is no Cocoa version of vim. AFAIK the toolbar is not
            implemented in the Carbon version.

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • Jeremy Conlin
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2006
              On 9/6/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
              > If you compiled yourself, how did you install it? By default,
              >
              > $ cd vim70/src
              > $ make
              >
              > on the Mac will create src/Vim.app . Did you also do
              >
              > $ make install
              >
              > or some such? Or do you have some other way of creating something that
              > your shell recognizes as "vim"? Again, what does
              >
              > $ vim --version
              >
              > report?

              When I compiled vim, I did the standard installation procedure
              ./configure (plus options)
              make
              sudo make install

              $vim --version
              VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled Aug 31 2006 22:07:02)
              MacOS X (unix) version
              Compiled by jlconlin@...
              Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
              +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent
              -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments
              +cryptv -cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -ebcdic
              +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path +find_in_path
              +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand +jumplist
              +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap +menu
              +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
              -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme
              -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra -perl +postscript +printer +profile
              +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent
              -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
              -tag_any_white -tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
              +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo +vreplace
              +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
              -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
              system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
              user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
              user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
              system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
              user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
              fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
              Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC
              -fno-common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas
              -mdynamic-no-pic -pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp
              -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O
              -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4
              Linking: gcc -L/usr/local/lib -o Vim -framework Carbon
              -lncurses -liconv -framework Python

              Thanks,
              Jeremy