(patch, mac) Scrolling trackpad shouldn't scroll up/down when tracking left/right

  • Nicolas Weber
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2006

      Apple's notebooks have a scrolling trackpad, which means you can
      track them with two fingers to scroll the document that's currently
      under the cursor. However, when you move your fingers left/right, Vim
      scroll up/down. So if you move your fingers from the lower-left to
      the upper-right of the trackpad, the scrolling gets very jittery
      because the bottom-up motion causes Vim to scroll up and the left-
      right motion causes Vim to scroll down. This is annoying; I often
      move my fingers a bit diagonally if I want to scroll up/down.

      This patch disables up/down scrolling if you move your fingers left/
      right. Ideally, left/right movement would scroll left/right, but I
      never need that anyways :-P

      I think this patch is also useful for Mighty Mouse users, the Might
      Mouse has a 2d scrollwheel as well.

      Bye,
      Nico
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 22, 2006
        Nicolas Weber wrote:

        > Apple's notebooks have a scrolling trackpad, which means you can
        > track them with two fingers to scroll the document that's currently
        > under the cursor. However, when you move your fingers left/right, Vim
        > scroll up/down. So if you move your fingers from the lower-left to
        > the upper-right of the trackpad, the scrolling gets very jittery
        > because the bottom-up motion causes Vim to scroll up and the left-
        > right motion causes Vim to scroll down. This is annoying; I often
        > move my fingers a bit diagonally if I want to scroll up/down.
        >
        > This patch disables up/down scrolling if you move your fingers left/
        > right. Ideally, left/right movement would scroll left/right, but I
        > never need that anyways :-P
        >
        > I think this patch is also useful for Mighty Mouse users, the Might
        > Mouse has a 2d scrollwheel as well.

        Vim currently doesn't do left-right scrolling, thus ignoring these
        events is indeed a good solution for now. Thanks for the patch!

        190. You quickly hand over your wallet, leather jacket, and car keys
        during a mugging, then proceed to beat the crap out of your
        assailant when he asks for your laptop.