definitive terminal vim vs. gvim debate

  • Adam Wolff
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi all,
      I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
      PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
      terminal VIM on the mac. It seems much faster on my macbook than gVim,
      though I admittedly built the former but not the latter. I was going
      to start a wiki page on my website with some information about how and
      why I'm running stuff the way I do, but I wanted to check and make
      sure I have good info here first.

      The biggest thing I miss in my terminal vim is the ability to make the
      cursor blink in insert mode, but not having keyboard control over
      gVim's dialogs with the keyboard is a deal breaker for me (how is this
      possible?) Also the lack of a minimize command for the gVim window
      bothers me a lot.

      Anyone else have strong opinions here? Why doesn't the mac terminal
      respond to ansi escape codes, that, say, change the cursor color or
      make it blink? I looked at iTerm but that didn't seem any better.

      Thanks in advance,
      Adam
    • David Sewell
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
        On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Adam Wolff wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
        > PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
        > terminal VIM on the mac.

        I use vim with Terminal.app all the time. I mostly use Gvim in cases
        where I want to use the mouse a lot.

        I don't entirely understand the antagonism some folks in the Mac
        community have to Terminal.app; the older OS X versions had weak
        implementations, but the one in 10.4.7 is pretty good. It performs as
        well as iTerm on the old vttest program, for example (better on things
        like double-sized characters).

        DS

        PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
        Email: dsewell@... Tel: +1 434 924 9973
      • Rick Hogg
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
          I'm of mixed opinions about this. For the first few months of my Vim-ing I was all about using VIM via Terminal.app, but something clicked in me, and I experimented with Vim.app, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It opens quicker and gives you a graphical browser for opening files. That said, it's a unitasker, and if you're working on a document and constantly need other command line utilities then using Terminal.app is the way to go. I use both all the time.

          Just either add the path to vim (/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) to your path, make an alias to this vim in your .profile, or, as I did, make a symbolic link to vim in /usr/bin so that you only have one installation to update as new patches or versions are made available.

          Enjoy!

          David Sewell <dsewell@...> wrote:
          On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Adam Wolff wrote:

          > Hi all,
          > I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
          > PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
          > terminal VIM on the mac.

          I use vim with Terminal.app all the time. I mostly use Gvim in cases
          where I want to use the mouse a lot.

          I don't entirely understand the antagonism some folks in the Mac
          community have to Terminal.app; the older OS X versions had weak
          implementations, but the one in 10.4.7 is pretty good. It performs as
          well as iTerm on the old vttest program, for example (better on things
          like double-sized characters).

          DS

          PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
          Email: dsewell@... Tel: +1 434 924 9973

        • Tim Stebbing
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2006
            I've been using vim in various forms for about 7 years, I consider
            myself a fairly hard-core user, in that I have a .vimrc file over 1k
            lines long, which at several points loads further functionality form
            python modules I've written. I also use vim every day of the week for
            on average 8-9 hours, and I have no mouse attached to my machine.

            I use gvim when developing software, I use terminal vim when doing
            short sys-admin tasks.
            I know alot of old timers will nay-say the gui vim for various
            reasons, and thats fine, but for me the killer functionality of gvim
            is colour support. Now this might sound like an odd thing to say, but
            when you are staring at a screen all day long the colour scheme you
            use becomes fairly important for eye-strain, readability and so on. I
            have 3 different schemes I use which I have written myself, designed
            for differing levels of ambient light, I light one for high light
            conditions, a mid tone and a dark for night time.
            I've always been a linux user but have recently bought a macbook pro.
            I've adapted a bit of code I found on a blog for reading the ambient
            light sensor (mail me if you want it) and now have a small process
            that polls the ambient light in the room every minute and then uses
            vim remote to tell the running gvim process to change themes if the
            light hits a particular threshold.. ok, perhaps I'm a bit obsessive
            over my colours but 16 just is not enough for me.

            On 8/2/06, Rick Hogg <eulipion2@...> wrote:
            > I'm of mixed opinions about this. For the first few months of my Vim-ing I was all about using VIM via Terminal.app, but something clicked in me, and I experimented with Vim.app, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. It opens quicker and gives you a graphical browser for opening files. That said, it's a unitasker, and if you're working on a document and constantly need other command line utilities then using Terminal.app is the way to go. I use both all the time.
            >
            > Just either add the path to vim (/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim) to your path, make an alias to this vim in your .profile, or, as I did, make a symbolic link to vim in /usr/bin so that you only have one installation to update as new patches or versions are made available.
            >
            > Enjoy!
            >

            > David Sewell <dsewell@...> wrote:
            > On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Adam Wolff wrote:
            >
            > > Hi all,
            > > I'm a long time VIMmer and a short-time OS Xer. I loved gvim on the
            > > PC, and used it instead of cygwin VIM. However I think I've settled on
            > > terminal VIM on the mac.
            >
            > I use vim with Terminal.app all the time. I mostly use Gvim in cases
            > where I want to use the mouse a lot.
            >
            > I don't entirely understand the antagonism some folks in the Mac
            > community have to Terminal.app; the older OS X versions had weak
            > implementations, but the one in 10.4.7 is pretty good. It performs as
            > well as iTerm on the old vttest program, for example (better on things
            > like double-sized characters).
            >
            > DS
            >
            > --
            > David Sewell, Editorial and Technical Manager
            > ROTUNDA, The University of Virginia Press
            > PO Box 400318, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4318 USA
            > Courier: 310 Old Ivy Way, Suite 302, Charlottesville VA 22903
            > Email: dsewell@... Tel: +1 434 924 9973
            > Web: http://rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/

            Timothy J Stebbing
          • Gregory Seidman
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2006
              On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 09:15:54AM -0700, Adam Wolff wrote:
              [...]
              } Anyone else have strong opinions here? Why doesn't the mac terminal
              } respond to ansi escape codes, that, say, change the cursor color or
              } make it blink? I looked at iTerm but that didn't seem any better.

              I actually run the X11 server on OS X, and tend to work from the
              commandline a lot more than from the Finder. I find that xterm is better
              than Terminal.app in essentially every way (emulation, configurability,
              speed, though if you want transparency you are out of luck), and gvim under
              X11 has always been good. I use Fink to install it, and the unstable branch
              has vim7.

              } Thanks in advance,
              } Adam
              --Greg