Re: vim-5.6 MacOS-8.6 vs Dislock - solved / update os_mac.txt!

  • Sven Guckes
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2000
      I had some feedback from Jean-Pierre and
      it seems that the problem has been solved:

      I took a "wild guess" at the use of swapfiles -
      and Jean-Pierre said that "unset swapfiles"
      solves the problem with "Vim-5.6 vs Dislock".

      However, dropping swap files just to make
      Vim usuable on a Macintosh seems bad.
      Is there a way to solve this problem?

      Bram - please add a note on "Dislock" as
      an example for a program which makes Vim
      unusable when you use swapfiles. Thanks!
      (probably with ":help mac-vimrc").

      Sven

      > From: Jean-Pierre Giacalone <j-giacalone@...>
      > Subject: VIM 5.6 for MAC (OS 8.6) crashes with Dislock
      > Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 22:05:37 +0200
      >
      > I installed Dislock from PowerON Software (Disk protection and
      > password locking software) on my PowerMAC G3 on MacOS 8.6.
      >
      > The last version of VIM, VIM5.6 for PPC is now crashing
      > as soon as I type in characters or crashes when loading.
      > Do you know where this is coming from?
      > Is there a patch that corrects this?
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2000
        Sven Guckes wrote:

        > I had some feedback from Jean-Pierre and
        > it seems that the problem has been solved:
        >
        > I took a "wild guess" at the use of swapfiles -
        > and Jean-Pierre said that "unset swapfiles"
        > solves the problem with "Vim-5.6 vs Dislock".
        >
        > However, dropping swap files just to make
        > Vim usuable on a Macintosh seems bad.
        > Is there a way to solve this problem?
        >
        > Bram - please add a note on "Dislock" as
        > an example for a program which makes Vim
        > unusable when you use swapfiles. Thanks!
        > (probably with ":help mac-vimrc").

        Hmm, I rather would see the problem further investigated, and solved!
        Very strange that using a swap file doesn't work when another program is
        running. Why can this be?

        --
        ARTHUR: (as the MAN next to him is squashed by a sheep) Knights! Run away!
        Midst echoing shouts of "run away" the KNIGHTS retreat to cover with the odd

      • Leedsnet
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2000
          At 08:54 PM 5/9/00, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          >Hmm, I rather would see the problem further investigated, and solved!
          >Very strange that using a swap file doesn't work when another program is
          >running. Why can this be?

          Because Disklock is a 'program' which interferes with access to the disk. It
          is intended to make certain disks, files, or folders inaccessible.

          Ben.

          --
          I am always careful to run secure servers against DOS attack. You never
          know when someone might break in to your server and install DOS on it.
          Message 4 of 7 , May 10, 2000
            Leedsnet (?) wrote:

            > At 08:54 PM 5/9/00, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >Hmm, I rather would see the problem further investigated, and solved!
            > >Very strange that using a swap file doesn't work when another program is
            > >running. Why can this be?
            >
            > Because Disklock is a 'program' which interferes with access to the disk. It
            > is intended to make certain disks, files, or folders inaccessible.

            Hmm, sounds like it's a Disklock problem then. Does it prevent disk access by
            crashing the program that tries to? Vim would normally catch read/write
            errors in the swap file and give an error message, not crash. If the problem
            is that on the Mac a read/write error in the swap file is not handled
            properly, then that can probably be fixed.

            --
            FIRST HEAD: All right! All right! We'll kill him first and then have tea and
            biscuits.

          • Ben Fowler
            Message 5 of 7 , May 10, 2000
              > > Because Disklock is a 'program' which interferes with access to the
              > disk. It
              > > is intended to make certain disks, files, or folders inaccessible.
              >
              >Hmm, sounds like it's a Disklock problem then. Does it prevent disk access by
              >crashing the program that tries to? Vim would normally catch read/write
              >errors in the swap file and give an error message, not crash. If the problem
              >is that on the Mac a read/write error in the swap file is not handled
              >properly, then that can probably be fixed.

              Indeed it does. DiskLock used to part of NUM (Norton's Utilities for the Mac),
              which was bought by Symantec, and later sold to Power On software,
              < URL:http://www.poweronsw.com/ >. So far as I know it is still current,
              but I have never used it. I believe that best of breed disk locking utilities
              is FolderBolt, but I haven't ever used that either!

              Ben.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 12, 2000
                At 11:23 PM 5/10/00, Ben Fowler wrote:
                Indeed it does. DiskLock used to part of NUM (Norton's Utilities for the Mac),
                >which was bought by Symantec, and later sold to Power On software,
                >< URL:http://www.poweronsw.com/ >. So far as I know it is still current,
                >but I have never used it. I believe that best of breed disk locking utilities
                >is FolderBolt, but I haven't ever used that either!

                The Power On software web site acknowledges a bug in an earlier version
                that meant
                that files beginning with '.' could not be opened.

                Ben.