Re: VIM 7.0 and using shell command (including Pine)

  • Ned Konz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2006
      Chris Judson wrote:
      > Folk,
      > I've run 6.3 with little issues to keep me from running shell commands,
      > but since I've entered the Visual world, things are a bit different.
      >
      > I tried to scope the archives on this before posting, but my apologies
      > to those who may tire of newbie questions:
      > When I run the :sh command and then enter Pine (I like the text email),
      > I get a weird error message:
      >
      > "Your terminal, of type "dumb", is lacking functions needed to run pine."
      >
      > What's the cause of the error and how can I fix it?

      When Vim runs a shell, it's just invoking the program given in 'shell'.
      Which doesn't include running a terminal emulator.

      Better to do the opposite: run Pine from a Terminal window, and tell it
      to use Vim as the editor.

      Or maybe you could make an Applescript to fire up a Terminal window with
      Pine, and then

      :shell open myScript.scpt

      from Vim.

      --