Re: weird backspace behaviour on macbook

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006

      On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 01:22:51AM +0200, Achim Staebler wrote:
      > Benji Fisher wrote:
      >
      > > Can you delete characters normally using CTRL-H? What do you get
      > >if you type <C-V><Backspace> (not literally!) in Insert mode?
      > No i can't. CTRL-H shows the same strange behaviour. <C-V><Backspace>
      > produces ^H in insert mode. So it seems that C-H isn't working as it
      > should. Perhaps it has something to do with the missing delete key on
      > the macbook? You can produce delete key behaviour with Fn-Backspace.
      >
      > Achim.

      Please answer the last question. It does not seem very likely, but
      I would like to rule out the unlikely, easy reasons before straining my
      brain to come up with something more likely. I do not have a MacBook
      Pro, and I cannot reproduce this behavior on my old PowerBook. You
      might also try the variant

      :imap <C-V><C-H>

      Another idea: one of the many ideas suggested under

      :help :fixdel

      may be appropriate.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Achim Staebler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 9, 2006
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Please answer the last question. It does not seem very likely, but
        > I would like to rule out the unlikely, easy reasons before straining my
        > brain to come up with something more likely.
        sorry, must have mist the last one. i am glad you asked again, since
        this was the cause of the problem: i used to have a mapping from C-H to
        C-W h. definitely worked on my desktop machine, but i can do without it
        in exchange for a working backspace key :)

        thanks again for your help.

        achim.