Re: weird backspace behaviour on macbook

  • Achim Staebler
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006
      Benji Fisher wrote:

      > Can you delete characters normally using CTRL-H? What do you get
      > if you type <C-V><Backspace> (not literally!) in Insert mode?
      No i can't. CTRL-H shows the same strange behaviour. <C-V><Backspace>
      produces ^H in insert mode. So it seems that C-H isn't working as it
      should. Perhaps it has something to do with the missing delete key on
      the macbook? You can produce delete key behaviour with Fn-Backspace.

      Achim.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006

        On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 01:22:51AM +0200, Achim Staebler wrote:
        > Benji Fisher wrote:
        >
        > > Can you delete characters normally using CTRL-H? What do you get
        > >if you type <C-V><Backspace> (not literally!) in Insert mode?
        > No i can't. CTRL-H shows the same strange behaviour. <C-V><Backspace>
        > produces ^H in insert mode. So it seems that C-H isn't working as it
        > should. Perhaps it has something to do with the missing delete key on
        > the macbook? You can produce delete key behaviour with Fn-Backspace.
        >
        > Achim.

        Please answer the last question. It does not seem very likely, but
        I would like to rule out the unlikely, easy reasons before straining my
        brain to come up with something more likely. I do not have a MacBook
        Pro, and I cannot reproduce this behavior on my old PowerBook. You
        might also try the variant

        :imap <C-V><C-H>

        Another idea: one of the many ideas suggested under

        :help :fixdel

        may be appropriate.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Achim Staebler
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2006
          Benji Fisher wrote:

          > Please answer the last question. It does not seem very likely, but
          > I would like to rule out the unlikely, easy reasons before straining my
          > brain to come up with something more likely.
          sorry, must have mist the last one. i am glad you asked again, since
          this was the cause of the problem: i used to have a mapping from C-H to
          C-W h. definitely worked on my desktop machine, but i can do without it
          in exchange for a working backspace key :)

          thanks again for your help.

          achim.