Re: weird backspace behaviour on macbook

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 7, 2006
      On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 12:54:19AM +0200, Achim Staebler wrote:
      > hi list,
      >
      > i have a weird problem with the backspace key on my macbook pro, which
      > only occurs in graphical mode - i.e. console vi is fine.
      >
      > when in insert mode, pressing backspace yields the following: the
      > current word is deleted {at least that's what if figured out) and an 'h'
      > is inserted.
      >
      > situation before backspace is pressed (_ indicates cursor):
      > abcd ef_
      > after backspace:
      > abcd h_
      >
      > pressing backspace again has no effect whatsoever. only escaping to
      > command mode and x-ing the h removes it.
      >
      > h - ctrl-h, that's what i thought at first. i searched the web for some
      > days, read the documentation and believe my settings are correct. they are:
      >
      > achim@macbook:~ $ gvim --version|head -n 1
      > VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 8 2006 12:56:43)
      [snip]

      Can you delete characters normally using CTRL-H? What do you get
      if you type <C-V><Backspace> (not literally!) in Insert mode? Just in
      case, how about

      :imap <C-V><Backspace>

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Achim Staebler
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006
        Benji Fisher wrote:

        > Can you delete characters normally using CTRL-H? What do you get
        > if you type <C-V><Backspace> (not literally!) in Insert mode?
        No i can't. CTRL-H shows the same strange behaviour. <C-V><Backspace>
        produces ^H in insert mode. So it seems that C-H isn't working as it
        should. Perhaps it has something to do with the missing delete key on
        the macbook? You can produce delete key behaviour with Fn-Backspace.

        Achim.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 8, 2006

          On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 01:22:51AM +0200, Achim Staebler wrote:
          > Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          > > Can you delete characters normally using CTRL-H? What do you get
          > >if you type <C-V><Backspace> (not literally!) in Insert mode?
          > No i can't. CTRL-H shows the same strange behaviour. <C-V><Backspace>
          > produces ^H in insert mode. So it seems that C-H isn't working as it
          > should. Perhaps it has something to do with the missing delete key on
          > the macbook? You can produce delete key behaviour with Fn-Backspace.
          >
          > Achim.

          Please answer the last question. It does not seem very likely, but
          I would like to rule out the unlikely, easy reasons before straining my
          brain to come up with something more likely. I do not have a MacBook
          Pro, and I cannot reproduce this behavior on my old PowerBook. You
          might also try the variant

          :imap <C-V><C-H>

          Another idea: one of the many ideas suggested under

          :help :fixdel

          may be appropriate.

          HTH --Benji Fisher
        • Achim Staebler
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 9, 2006
            Benji Fisher wrote:

            > Please answer the last question. It does not seem very likely, but
            > I would like to rule out the unlikely, easy reasons before straining my
            > brain to come up with something more likely.
            sorry, must have mist the last one. i am glad you asked again, since
            this was the cause of the problem: i used to have a mapping from C-H to
            C-W h. definitely worked on my desktop machine, but i can do without it
            in exchange for a working backspace key :)

            thanks again for your help.

            achim.