VIM 7.0 and using shell command (including Pine)

  • Chris Judson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2006
      Folk,
      I've run 6.3 with little issues to keep me from running shell
      commands, but since I've entered the Visual world, things are a bit
      different.

      I tried to scope the archives on this before posting, but my
      apologies to those who may tire of newbie questions:
      When I run the :sh command and then enter Pine (I like the text
      email), I get a weird error message:

      "Your terminal, of type "dumb", is lacking functions needed to run
      pine."

      What's the cause of the error and how can I fix it?

      Thanks in advance,
      Chris
    • Ned Konz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2006
        Chris Judson wrote:
        > Folk,
        > I've run 6.3 with little issues to keep me from running shell commands,
        > but since I've entered the Visual world, things are a bit different.
        >
        > I tried to scope the archives on this before posting, but my apologies
        > to those who may tire of newbie questions:
        > When I run the :sh command and then enter Pine (I like the text email),
        > I get a weird error message:
        >
        > "Your terminal, of type "dumb", is lacking functions needed to run pine."
        >
        > What's the cause of the error and how can I fix it?

        When Vim runs a shell, it's just invoking the program given in 'shell'.
        Which doesn't include running a terminal emulator.

        Better to do the opposite: run Pine from a Terminal window, and tell it
        to use Vim as the editor.

        Or maybe you could make an Applescript to fire up a Terminal window with
        Pine, and then

        :shell open myScript.scpt

        from Vim.

        --