GVim in Mail.app?

  • Chris Eidhof
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I was wondering if anyone uses GVim in combination with Mail.app?
      I've worked with mutt, which I really liked, but after switching to a
      Mac I really enjoyed the integration with the OS. Being able to just
      click on links and attachments, and see inline images really does it
      for me. There's only one really big issue with Mail.app: it doesn't
      support external editors. At least, not out of the box. And as
      probably everyone knows, typing your mail in Vim is way more
      convenient than any other program.

      So, I've googled for about 2 hours to search for other people who
      faced the same problem, but I did not find any solution. What I do
      know is that TextMate has "Edit in TextMate", which is a shortcut
      that fires up TextMate for the current textfield. I'd like something
      like that too.

      Another option I looked in to is to make a Rule in combination with
      Mail-act-on. I do know it's possible to use AppleScripts, but I don't
      know enough about apple-scripts to create this in a very short time.

      Furthermore, I've found that there's a file called "Library/
      Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist" which is a property-list, and it
      contains a property ActiveEditors, but I can't find how to fill it.

      So I figured: I'm probably not the first person who faces this issue.
      Is there anyone else who uses Mail.app in combination with vim? Or
      what are your other solutions to type your e-mail in vim?

      Thanks a lot,
      -chris