help with vim

  • George Cummins
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
      Hello,
      I am still the newone for UNIX and opensource, exactly for the VIM
      editor. I am using Mac os 10.3.9 and the newest vim 7 for Panther. I
      have some simple questions that should be useful for working in vim
      for me:

      1. How to set up the startup preferences in vim, so that I will able
      to view my favourite colorscheme and window size without changing it
      after vim started up
      2. I was searching for the czech spelling dictionary for vim, is
      there any one?
      3 Can I open MS Word files in VIM?

      Plase write me if you will have a little free time for this plant
      things,
      Thank you,

      --
      George Cummins
      ----------------

      George Cummins IV
      Zemedelska 28
      Brno 61300
      Czech Republic
      -------
      email: lohenginIV@...
      email 2: gcummins@...
      home: 545 57 53 47
      cell: +420 737 106 256
      icq: lohengrinIV (236228914)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2006
        On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 05:01:32PM +0200, George Cummins wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I am still the newone for UNIX and opensource, exactly for the VIM
        > editor. I am using Mac os 10.3.9 and the newest vim 7 for Panther. I
        > have some simple questions that should be useful for working in vim
        > for me:
        >
        > 1. How to set up the startup preferences in vim, so that I will able
        > to view my favourite colorscheme and window size without changing it
        > after vim started up
        > 2. I was searching for the czech spelling dictionary for vim, is
        > there any one?
        > 3 Can I open MS Word files in VIM?

        1. You want a file named .vimrc (or _vimrc if you do not want Finder.app
        to "hide" it) in your home directory. As a way to start, I recommend
        either the one-line file

        source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim

        or else making a copy of that file as ~/.vim . For more information,
        read the comments in that file or

        :help vimrc-intro

        2. I believe there is. Try

        :set spell spelllang=cs

        Assuming that plugins are working for you, this should download the
        spell file for you, asking permission along the way. Alternatively, you
        can get it manually from ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/spell/ . See

        :help spell-load

        for more details.

        3. No. Well, you can open them, but mostly what you will see (unless
        you have better vision than I do) is binary gibberish. If you can open
        these files in some other program, you should be able to use the system
        clipboard to move text between there and vim. (Although note that there
        have been reports on this list that some programs do not communicate
        well with vim through the clipboard.)

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • @ Rocteur CC
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2006
          HI George,

          I'll let the others answer point 1 and point 2.

          Point 3, yes you can, not only can you do it but you can also do
          vimdiff across word documents, which I think is fantastic when
          reviewing documentation.

          This was taken from a vim tip and I've tried to set out instructions
          for those who may need them:

          http://www.rocteur.cc/geeklog/public_html/article.php?
          story=20060610114146499

          Best Regards,

          Jerry Rocteur
          http://www.rocteur.cc

        • @ Rocteur CC
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2006

            For answer 1) below, could someone more savvy than I am with GUIs
            please show some examples of what you could put in your .vimrc so
            that you can save window size and colour schemes and fonts etc. I am
            in fact talking about gvim here not vim. so perhaps .gvimrc

            Or a link to the help file.

            Thanks in advance,

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 12, 2006
              Please do not mix top-reply with bottom-reply. I have edited the
              quoted e-mails below to make them consistent.

              You could put some lines like these in your vimrc or gvimrc file:

              colors peachpuff
              set lines=44 columns=90
              set gfn=Andale\ Mono:h9

              HTH --Benji Fisher