Setting of $PATH in vimrc

  • Brad
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006

      just downloaded the vim7.0-ppc.tar.gz and installed. It looks great!

      Some $PATH problems though:

      I noticed that when I drag the gVim icon to the dock and start from
      there, the $PATH that I set in my .profile doesn't make it into vim.

      I had a look at Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/vimrc, and it looks as
      if the check

      ps xw | grep "Vim -psn" | grep -vc grep

      to see whether Vim.app was started from the Finder doesn't cover the
      case where it is started from the doc (in which case it looks like it
      appears as "Vim -go", not "Vim -psn").

      I replaced that with

      ps xw | grep "Vim -\(psn\|go\)" | grep -vc grep

      which seems to work.

      If this is blatantly wrong or anything, please let me know.

      Brad
    • John Love-Jensen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
        Hi Brad,

        Apps launched through Finder do not get instantiated through a shell, hence,
        ~/.profile is not sourced.

        You probably want to put them in your ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist file.

        q.v.
        http://www.peter.com.au/macosx/index.html

        HTH,
        --Eljay
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
          On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 11:44:55AM +0200, Brad wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > just downloaded the vim7.0-ppc.tar.gz and installed. It looks great!
          >

          > Some $PATH problems though:
          >
          > I noticed that when I drag the gVim icon to the dock and start from
          > there, the $PATH that I set in my .profile doesn't make it into vim.
          >
          > I had a look at Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/vimrc, and it looks as
          > if the check
          >
          > ps xw | grep "Vim -psn" | grep -vc grep
          >
          > to see whether Vim.app was started from the Finder doesn't cover the
          > case where it is started from the doc (in which case it looks like it
          > appears as "Vim -go", not "Vim -psn").
          >
          > I replaced that with
          >
          > ps xw | grep "Vim -\(psn\|go\)" | grep -vc grep
          >
          > which seems to work.
          >
          > If this is blatantly wrong or anything, please let me know.

          That looks reasonable. I will change the system vimrc file that I
          distribute to do the same thing.

          It might be more reliable to use Eljay's advice (other post on this
          thread) but my goal is to make it work OOTB for as many users as
          possible.

          --Benji Fisher