Re: New VIM Binary

  • Bill Tschumy
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
      I tried downloading it with both Opera and IE. They both gave
      immediate errors on the download. I then tried with OmniWeb as you
      did and it worked fine (both the download worked and the
      application runs).

      Thanks for putting all the effot into this. Greatly appreciated.

      Bill

      --
      Bill Tschumy
      Otherwise -- Austin, TX
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
        Bill Tschumy sez:
        } I tried downloading it with both Opera and IE. They both gave
        } immediate errors on the download. I then tried with OmniWeb as you
        } did and it worked fine (both the download worked and the
        } application runs).

        I downloaded it by mounting the idisk public folder using the Finder's
        Connect to Server. I had no problems whatsoever.

        } Thanks for putting all the effot into this. Greatly appreciated.

        Likewise! Incidentally, here's a trick people might find useful. If you're
        used to running gvim from a shell under X11, like I am, you can get roughly
        the same functionality. Assume that vim (for shell) and gvim (for X11) are
        installed and in your path; also assume that Vim.app is installed in
        /Applications. Put the following in your .tcshrc:

        if ($?TERM_PROGRAM) then
        alias vi '(/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim \!* &)'
        else if ($?DISPLAY) then
        alias vi gvim
        else
        alias vi vim
        endif

        Now running vi does exactly what you want in any environment. If you're
        running it from an xterm, it will start a gvim under X11. If you're running
        it from a Terminal window, it will start Vim (and a new Vim each time). If
        you have ssh'd in, vi will use the shell. Also, if you are using the vim
        package provided on Apple's website, I've found that the following (in your
        .vimrc) will get color syntax highlighting in the Terminal window:

        if ($TERM_PROGRAM=="Apple_Terminal")
        set term=builtin_beos-ansi
        endif

        } Bill
        Happy vimming,
        --Greg
      • Patrick Curtain
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
          Hey All! Just one question:

          On Tuesday, November 20, 2001, at 08:45 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:

          > I downloaded it by mounting the idisk public folder using the Finder's
          > Connect to Server. I had no problems whatsoever.

          What exactly do you do to make this happen? How do you specify
          fisherbb's idisk?

          --p

          Patrick Curtain, Husband & Father ( i also write software )
          --
          -- Building the BEST Software the FASTEST Way
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
            Patrick Curtain sez:
            } Hey All! Just one question:
            }
            } On Tuesday, November 20, 2001, at 08:45 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
            }
            } > I downloaded it by mounting the idisk public folder using the Finder's
            } > Connect to Server. I had no problems whatsoever.
            }
            } What exactly do you do to make this happen? How do you specify
            } fisherbb's idisk?

            Under OS X, in the Connect to Server dialog, type in:

            http://idisk.mac.com/fisherbb/Public

            That's all there is to it.

            } --p
            --Greg