Re: New VIM Binary

  • david craig
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
      Benji-

      On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Benji Fisher wrote:
      > If we are lucky, you just had a download glitch, and it will work if you
      > try again.

      OS X 10.1.1, IE 5.1, Stuffit 6.5.1. I did try the download several
      times; same thing each time. Will try with another browser when I get
      home.

      David Craig

      <http://www.panix.com/~dac/>
    • Bill Tschumy
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
        I tried downloading it with both Opera and IE. They both gave
        immediate errors on the download. I then tried with OmniWeb as you
        did and it worked fine (both the download worked and the
        application runs).

        Thanks for putting all the effot into this. Greatly appreciated.

        Bill

        --
        Bill Tschumy
        Otherwise -- Austin, TX
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
          Bill Tschumy sez:
          } I tried downloading it with both Opera and IE. They both gave
          } immediate errors on the download. I then tried with OmniWeb as you
          } did and it worked fine (both the download worked and the
          } application runs).

          I downloaded it by mounting the idisk public folder using the Finder's
          Connect to Server. I had no problems whatsoever.

          } Thanks for putting all the effot into this. Greatly appreciated.

          Likewise! Incidentally, here's a trick people might find useful. If you're
          used to running gvim from a shell under X11, like I am, you can get roughly
          the same functionality. Assume that vim (for shell) and gvim (for X11) are
          installed and in your path; also assume that Vim.app is installed in
          /Applications. Put the following in your .tcshrc:

          if ($?TERM_PROGRAM) then
          alias vi '(/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim \!* &)'
          else if ($?DISPLAY) then
          alias vi gvim
          else
          alias vi vim
          endif

          Now running vi does exactly what you want in any environment. If you're
          running it from an xterm, it will start a gvim under X11. If you're running
          it from a Terminal window, it will start Vim (and a new Vim each time). If
          you have ssh'd in, vi will use the shell. Also, if you are using the vim
          package provided on Apple's website, I've found that the following (in your
          .vimrc) will get color syntax highlighting in the Terminal window:

          if ($TERM_PROGRAM=="Apple_Terminal")
          set term=builtin_beos-ansi
          endif

          } Bill
          Happy vimming,
          --Greg
        • Patrick Curtain
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
            Hey All! Just one question:

            On Tuesday, November 20, 2001, at 08:45 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:

            > I downloaded it by mounting the idisk public folder using the Finder's
            > Connect to Server. I had no problems whatsoever.

            What exactly do you do to make this happen? How do you specify
            fisherbb's idisk?

            --p

            Patrick Curtain, Husband & Father ( i also write software )
            --
            -- Building the BEST Software the FASTEST Way
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 20, 2001
              Patrick Curtain sez:
              } Hey All! Just one question:
              }
              } On Tuesday, November 20, 2001, at 08:45 PM, Gregory Seidman wrote:
              }
              } > I downloaded it by mounting the idisk public folder using the Finder's
              } > Connect to Server. I had no problems whatsoever.
              }
              } What exactly do you do to make this happen? How do you specify
              } fisherbb's idisk?

              Under OS X, in the Connect to Server dialog, type in:

              http://idisk.mac.com/fisherbb/Public

              That's all there is to it.

              } --p
              --Greg