Re: FW: Vimspell on mac problems

    Message 1 of 10 , May 25, 2006
      On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 06:42:36AM -0700, Furash Gary wrote:
      > My vimspell with 7.0 seems to work okay on the mac os x at first - it
      > shows words with problems, but if I right click and pick a replacement
      > word it crashes.
      > Gary Furash, MBA, PMP, Applications Manager
      > Maricopa County Attorney's Office

      I cannot reproduce this problem. What version of OS X are you
      using (and if it is 10.4.x, is your machine Intel or PPC based)? Did
      you compile yourself or where did you get Vim.app? Please give your
      :version output and details on what leads to a crash.

      I tested with OS X 10.3.9 (PPC) vim 7.0 compiled with "huge"
      features.

      I do see other problems with spell checking from the PopUp menu; I
      will discuss these on the vim-dev list. The crashing problem should
      probably move to the vim-mac list.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Furash Gary
      Message 2 of 10 , May 25, 2006

        Message 3 of 10 , May 25, 2006
          On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:39:37AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
          > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 06:42:36AM -0700, Furash Gary wrote:
          > > My vimspell with 7.0 seems to work okay on the mac os x at first - it
          > > shows words with problems, but if I right click and pick a replacement
          > > word it crashes.
          > > Gary Furash, MBA, PMP, Applications Manager
          > > Maricopa County Attorney's Office
          >
          > I cannot reproduce this problem. What version of OS X are you
          > using (and if it is 10.4.x, is your machine Intel or PPC based)? Did
          > you compile yourself or where did you get Vim.app? Please give your
          > :version output and details on what leads to a crash.
          >
          > I tested with OS X 10.3.9 (PPC) vim 7.0 compiled with "huge"
          > features.
          >
          > I do see other problems with spell checking from the PopUp menu; I
          > will discuss these on the vim-dev list. The crashing problem should
          > probably move to the vim-mac list.

          Now I can reproduce the problem. It depends on how I start vim.
          :-( Also, the problems I saw on Linux/GTK2 are either solved by setting
          'mousemodel' to "popup_setpos" or else unreproducible. :-( I have two
          ways to start Vim.app :

          (1) From Finder.app, find Vim.app and CMD-O (or double click).

          (2) From a shell, use the gvim shell script, which does the same as
          $ /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

          Start Vim.app either way. Do

          :set spell

          and enter the text "hjkl" into a new buffer. Either right-click or
          control-click on this to bring up the PopUp menu. Choose
          'Change "hjkl" to' and then choose the first item, "hulk", from the
          sub-menu. I find that nothing happens for a second or so, then the
          PopUp menu re-appears. I make the same choices, and then the behavior
          depends on how I started vim: if (1), then "hjkl" is replaced by
          "hulk"; if (2), there is a long pause and then a crash.

          Can anyone else reproduce this?

          --Benji Fisher
        • Michael J. Bird
          Message 4 of 10 , May 25, 2006
            Yes, I can reproduce this on a 10.4.6 PPC powerbook. I have a
            shortcut to the .app on my powerbar, and that's how I started it. It
            blew up.
            I ran the script from a Terminal session. It blew up. I ran it from
            the Applications folder in Finder. It worked.

            I got this in my Terminal session:
            Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
            Vim: preserving files...
            Vim: Finished.

            I am using the PPC version of the pre-compiled binary (I think),
            here's the version info:
          • Michael J. Bird
            Message 5 of 10 , May 25, 2006
              Sorry, here's the version info:
              VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0 (2006 May 7, compiled May 8 2006 12:56:43)
              MacOS X (unix) version
              Compiled by Jonathan Cooley <http://macvim.org/OSX>
              Huge version with Carbon GUI. Features included (+) or not (-):
              +arabic +autocmd -balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset
              +cindent
              -clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info
              +comments
              +cryptv +cscope +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff +digraphs -dnd -
              ebcdic
              +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi +file_in_path
              +find_in_path
              +folding -footer +fork() -gettext -hangul_input +iconv +insert_expand
              +jumplist
              +keymap +langmap +libcall +linebreak +lispindent +listcmds +localmap
              +menu
              +mksession +modify_fname +mouse -mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm
              -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -
              mzscheme
              -netbeans_intg -osfiletype +path_extra +perl +postscript +printer
              +profile
              +python +quickfix +reltime +rightleft +ruby +scrollbind +signs
              +smartindent
              -sniff +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary +tag_old_static
              -tag_any_white +tcl +terminfo +termresponse +textobjects +title -toolbar
              +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo
              +vreplace
              +wildignore +wildmenu +windows +writebackup -X11 -xfontset -xim -xsmp
              -xterm_clipboard -xterm_save
              system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"
              user vimrc file: "$HOME/.vimrc"
              user exrc file: "$HOME/.exrc"
              system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"
              user gvimrc file: "$HOME/.gvimrc"
              fall-back for $VIM: "/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim"
              Compilation: gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_MAC -fno-
              common -fpascal-strings -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -mdynamic-no-pic -
              pipe -I. -Iproto -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -I/Developer/SDKs/
              MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -g -O -isysroot /
              Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -arch ppc -g -pipe -
              DPERL_DARWIN -no-cpp-precomp -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/
              include -I/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/
              CORE -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/
              include/python2.3 -I/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/Headers
              -D_REENTRANT=1 -D_THREAD_SAFE=1 -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/universal-
              darwin8.0
              Linking: gcc -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386 -
              arch ppc -o Vim -framework Carbon -lncurses -liconv -L/usr/
              local/lib /System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/
              DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a -L/System/Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-
              multi-2level/CORE -lperl -lm -lc -framework Python -framework Tcl -
              framework CoreFoundation -lruby -lobjc

            • Bem Jones-Bey
              Message 6 of 10 , May 25, 2006
                Just for an extra datapoint, if you cd to the Applications folder
                before running it from the command line, then it does not crash.

                Tested on PPC Mac OS X 10.4.6, with Universal Vim binary from
                macvim.org.

                -- Bem Ajani Jones-Bey (ajani@...) -- http://ajani.org/ --
              • Axel Kielhorn
                Message 7 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                  Am 25.05.2006 um 16:40 schrieb Benji Fisher:

                  > Now I can reproduce the problem. It depends on how I start vim.
                  > :-( Also, the problems I saw on Linux/GTK2 are either solved by
                  > setting
                  > 'mousemodel' to "popup_setpos" or else unreproducible. :-( I have two
                  > ways to start Vim.app :
                  >
                  > (1) From Finder.app, find Vim.app and CMD-O (or double click).
                  >
                  > (2) From a shell, use the gvim shell script, which does the same as
                  > $ /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &
                  >
                  > Start Vim.app either way. Do
                  >
                  > :set spell
                  >
                  > and enter the text "hjkl" into a new buffer. Either right-click or
                  > control-click on this to bring up the PopUp menu. Choose
                  > 'Change "hjkl" to' and then choose the first item, "hulk", from the
                  > sub-menu. I find that nothing happens for a second or so, then the
                  > PopUp menu re-appears.

                  Same here. (Yes, it is annoying, that's why I use z= most of the time.)

                  > I make the same choices, and then the behavior
                  > depends on how I started vim:

                  > if (1), then "hjkl" is replaced by "hulk";

                  Same again

                  > if (2), there is a long pause and then a crash.

                  Same behaviour as in (1) (In insert mode and in normal mode)

                  Vim 7.0.17 on Mac OS 10.3.9 compiled with
                  gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)
                  --enable-multibyte

                  Axel
                • Axel Kielhorn
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                    Am 25.05.2006 um 22:39 schrieb Bem Jones-Bey:

                    > Just for an extra datapoint, if you cd to the Applications folder
                    > before running it from the command line, then it does not crash.

                    Interesting datapoint.
                    I didn't move Vim to the Application folder, I invoke it from the Dock
                    or in the Terminal as

                    ~/src/Vim/vim70/src/darwin7.9/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

                    When I cd to
                    ~/src/Vim/vim70/src/darwin7.9/
                    and call Vim as
                    Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &

                    I get:
                    þÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþ"†"‡"‚"ƒ"*")ÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþ"'"(ÿþ!ÒÔhulk

                    The second time I tried this, it was fine in normal mode, but I did get
                    the crash in insert mode.

                    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
                    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x6c526570

                    0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x90007260 strlen + 0x20
                    1 Vim 0x0006f86c ins_typebuf + 0x60 (getchar.c:930)
                    2 Vim 0x00071428 vgetorpeek + 0x9dc (getchar.c:2297)

                    I have encoding=utf-8

                    Anything else that may be interesting?
                    MacOS 10.3.9, gcc (GCC) 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)
                    --enable-multibyte
                    Vim 7.0.17

                    Axel
                  • Bem Jones-Bey
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 26, 2006
                      On May 26, 2006, at 2:00, Axel Kielhorn wrote:

                      > I get:
                      > þÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþ"†"‡"‚"ƒ"*")ÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþÿþ"'"(ÿþ!ÒÔhulk

                      Interesting. I just get 'hulk'. I have encoding=utf-8, but I also
                      have nomacatsui and termencoding=macroman. I just tested it without
                      setting those in my .gvimrc, and I still don't get the garbage before
                      hulk.

                      > The second time I tried this, it was fine in normal mode, but I did
                      > get the crash in insert mode.

                      It also crashes for me in insert mode all the time, but not in normal
                      mode when run fron the proper directory.

                      -- Bem Ajani Jones-Bey (ajani@...) -- http://ajani.org/ --
                    • Bram Moolenaar
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 16 8:24 AM
                        Benji Fisher wrote:

                        > On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 09:39:37AM -0400, Benji Fisher wrote:
                        > > On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 06:42:36AM -0700, Furash Gary wrote:
                        > > > My vimspell with 7.0 seems to work okay on the mac os x at first - it
                        > > > shows words with problems, but if I right click and pick a replacement
                        > > > word it crashes.
                        > > > Gary Furash, MBA, PMP, Applications Manager
                        > > > Maricopa County Attorney's Office
                        > >
                        > > I cannot reproduce this problem. What version of OS X are you
                        > > using (and if it is 10.4.x, is your machine Intel or PPC based)? Did
                        > > you compile yourself or where did you get Vim.app? Please give your
                        > > :version output and details on what leads to a crash.
                        > >
                        > > I tested with OS X 10.3.9 (PPC) vim 7.0 compiled with "huge"
                        > > features.
                        > >
                        > > I do see other problems with spell checking from the PopUp menu; I
                        > > will discuss these on the vim-dev list. The crashing problem should
                        > > probably move to the vim-mac list.
                        >
                        > Now I can reproduce the problem. It depends on how I start vim.
                        > :-( Also, the problems I saw on Linux/GTK2 are either solved by setting
                        > 'mousemodel' to "popup_setpos" or else unreproducible. :-( I have two
                        > ways to start Vim.app :
                        >
                        > (1) From Finder.app, find Vim.app and CMD-O (or double click).
                        >
                        > (2) From a shell, use the gvim shell script, which does the same as
                        > $ /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim -g &
                        >
                        > Start Vim.app either way. Do
                        >
                        > :set spell
                        >
                        > and enter the text "hjkl" into a new buffer. Either right-click or
                        > control-click on this to bring up the PopUp menu. Choose
                        > 'Change "hjkl" to' and then choose the first item, "hulk", from the
                        > sub-menu. I find that nothing happens for a second or so, then the
                        > PopUp menu re-appears. I make the same choices, and then the behavior
                        > depends on how I started vim: if (1), then "hjkl" is replaced by
                        > "hulk"; if (2), there is a long pause and then a crash.
                        >
                        > Can anyone else reproduce this?

                        I can reproduce it. The call stack shows:

                        strlen + 8
                        ins_typebuf + 88
                        vgetorpeek + 2280
                        vgetc + 164
                        safe_vgetc + 16
                        normal_cmd + 192
                        mail_loop + 976

                        Thus it has something to do with getting typeahead characters.

                        267. You get an extra phone line so you can get phone calls.