Re: Errors in .vimrc with 7.0g

    Message 1 of 4 , May 3, 2006
      On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:00:54AM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

      > Hi All
      > I'm running 10.4.6 on a G5 iMac. I have downloaded and tried 7.0e
      > and 7.0g in the last couple of days, and it doesn't like my .vimrc
      > I get dozens and dozens of errors. I can provide a complete list on
      > request.
      > Typical of most of them is the following:
      >
      > >Error detected while processing /Users/bmckee/.vimrc:
      > >line 360: \ should be followed by /, ? or &
      >
      > The section in question is
      >
      > >"---------------------------------------------------------------------
      > >----------
      > >" Fast switching between buffers
      > >" The current buffer will be saved before switching to the next one.
      > >" Choose :bprevious or :bnext
      > >"---------------------------------------------------------------------
      > >----------
      > >"
      > >map <silent> <s-tab> <Esc>:if &modifiable && !&readonly &&
      > > \ &modified
      > ><CR> :write<CR> :endif<CR>:bnext<CR> <<<-- line 360
      > >imap <silent> <s-tab> <Esc>:if &modifiable && !&readonly &&
      > > \ &modified <CR> :write<CR> :endif<CR>:bnext<CR>
      >
      > I see an & after the \
      >
      > :-(
      >
      > This .vimrc works fine with 6.4 and worked with 7.0a (IIRC)
      > Am I not seeing something? Is there more info I can provide?
      >
      > Brian

      It looks as though 'cpo' includes the "C" flag. This is the
      default when 'compatible' is set.

      This is not supposed to happen: when vim finds a personal vimrc
      file, it is supposed to set 'nocompatible'. Among other things, this is
      supposed to set 'cpo' to its vim default. I have an idea what may be
      going wrong, and it may be my fault, but I do not have time to look into
      it right now. For a quick work-around, try adding

      set nocp

      to your vimrc file.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Brian McKee
        Message 3 of 4 , May 3, 2006
          On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:38:03AM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

          > On 3-May-06, at 8:21 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
          >
          > >On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:00:54AM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
          > >>
          > >>Hi All
          > >> I'm running 10.4.6 on a G5 iMac. I have downloaded and tried 7.0e
          > >>and 7.0g in the last couple of days, and it doesn't like my .vimrc
          >
          > {snippage}
          >
          > >For a quick work-around, try adding
          > >set nocp
          > >to your vimrc file.
          >
          > Hi Benjii
          > Thanks for the quick response.
          > Your suggestion gets it to load without stated errors in
          > Terminal.app, but at least some of my added plugins etc aren't
          > working. If I try launching it as a GUI, it just crashes.
          > I'm in no rush - 6.4 is doing what I need, I just wanted to report
          > the issue. Let me know if you need any more data whenever you do
          > want to look at it.
          > Brian

          I do not like it when vim crashes. The problem may be at your end:
          your plugins may be incompatible with vim 7.0 in some way. I would
          appreciate more information in case there is something that should be
          fixed in the distribution before the final release ov bim 7.0. (Unless
          there are a lot of problems with the current beta release, there will
          not be any more betas.)

          --Benji Fisher