Errors in .vimrc with 7.0g

  • Brian McKee
      Message 2 of 4 , May 3, 2006
        On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:00:54AM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

        > Hi All
        > I'm running 10.4.6 on a G5 iMac. I have downloaded and tried 7.0e
        > and 7.0g in the last couple of days, and it doesn't like my .vimrc
        > I get dozens and dozens of errors. I can provide a complete list on
        > request.
        > Typical of most of them is the following:
        >
        > >Error detected while processing /Users/bmckee/.vimrc:
        > >line 360: \ should be followed by /, ? or &
        >
        > The section in question is
        >
        > >"---------------------------------------------------------------------
        > >----------
        > >" Fast switching between buffers
        > >" The current buffer will be saved before switching to the next one.
        > >" Choose :bprevious or :bnext
        > >"---------------------------------------------------------------------
        > >----------
        > >"
        > >map <silent> <s-tab> <Esc>:if &modifiable && !&readonly &&
        > > \ &modified
        > ><CR> :write<CR> :endif<CR>:bnext<CR> <<<-- line 360
        > >imap <silent> <s-tab> <Esc>:if &modifiable && !&readonly &&
        > > \ &modified <CR> :write<CR> :endif<CR>:bnext<CR>
        >
        > I see an & after the \
        >
        > :-(
        >
        > This .vimrc works fine with 6.4 and worked with 7.0a (IIRC)
        > Am I not seeing something? Is there more info I can provide?
        >
        > Brian

        It looks as though 'cpo' includes the "C" flag. This is the
        default when 'compatible' is set.

        This is not supposed to happen: when vim finds a personal vimrc
        file, it is supposed to set 'nocompatible'. Among other things, this is
        supposed to set 'cpo' to its vim default. I have an idea what may be
        going wrong, and it may be my fault, but I do not have time to look into
        it right now. For a quick work-around, try adding

        set nocp

        to your vimrc file.

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Brian McKee
          Message 4 of 4 , May 3, 2006
            On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 10:38:03AM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

            > On 3-May-06, at 8:21 AM, Benji Fisher wrote:
            >
            > >On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 10:00:54AM -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
            > >>
            > >>Hi All
            > >> I'm running 10.4.6 on a G5 iMac. I have downloaded and tried 7.0e
            > >>and 7.0g in the last couple of days, and it doesn't like my .vimrc
            >
            > {snippage}
            >
            > >For a quick work-around, try adding
            > >set nocp
            > >to your vimrc file.
            >
            > Hi Benjii
            > Thanks for the quick response.
            > Your suggestion gets it to load without stated errors in
            > Terminal.app, but at least some of my added plugins etc aren't
            > working. If I try launching it as a GUI, it just crashes.
            > I'm in no rush - 6.4 is doing what I need, I just wanted to report
            > the issue. Let me know if you need any more data whenever you do
            > want to look at it.
            > Brian

            I do not like it when vim crashes. The problem may be at your end:
            your plugins may be incompatible with vim 7.0 in some way. I would
            appreciate more information in case there is something that should be
            fixed in the distribution before the final release ov bim 7.0. (Unless
            there are a lot of problems with the current beta release, there will
            not be any more betas.)

            --Benji Fisher