Re: mapping alt-arrow

  • Afternoon
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30, 2006
      I've been doing some more exploration of key mappings on Benji's new
      7.0g build, using insert mode to get Vim to tell me what it's thinking:

      Keypress Yields
      ^V<Left> <Left>
      ^V<Right> <Right>
      ^V<D-Left> <C-D-\>
      ^V<D-Right> <C-D-]>
      ^V<D-Up> <C-D-^>
      ^V<D-Down> <C-D-_>
      ^V<M-Left> <Left>
      ^V<M-Right> <Right>
      ^V<M-Up> <Up>
      ^V<M-Down> <Down>
      ^V<BS> ^H
      ^V<M-BS> ^H

      So, shift seems to work, alt is broken and command is weird,
      backspace is still not quite mapping correctly, regardless of fixdel
      etc. By using these combinations I've managed to get back a lot of
      the navigation keys I use, so I'm switching up to 7 now (for the time
      being at least). However I'd still like to try and get that pesky
      backspace sorted and it seems odd to me that <D-left> == <C-D-\> etc.

      I'd also like to take this opportunity to once again recommend a
      patch by Eckehard Burns which allows Cmd-. to be used as ^C during
      external tasks (compiles, makes, etc). Cmd-. is the standard Mac stop-
      doing-stuff-now key. As builds of 7 mature I think this is a nice
      rounding off type feature. I've attached the patch for Vim 6.3, it
      might need modifying for 7, I'm willing to take a look at that.

      Ben
    • Stephen Riehm
      Message 2 of 11 , May 1, 2006
        Hi Ben,

        On 01.05.2006, at 02:08, Afternoon wrote:

        > I've been doing some more exploration of key mappings on Benji's
        > new 7.0g build, using insert mode to get Vim to tell me what it's
        > thinking:
        >
        > Keypress Yields
        > ^V<Left> <Left>
        > ^V<Right> <Right>
        > ^V<D-Left> <C-D-\>
        > ^V<D-Right> <C-D-]>
        > ^V<D-Up> <C-D-^>
        > ^V<D-Down> <C-D-_>
        > ^V<M-Left> <Left>
        > ^V<M-Right> <Right>
        > ^V<M-Up> <Up>
        > ^V<M-Down> <Down>
        > ^V<BS> ^H
        > ^V<M-BS> ^H
        >
        > So, shift seems to work, alt is broken and command is weird,
        > backspace is still not quite mapping correctly, regardless of
        > fixdel etc.

        I too just tried the new version, but shift is not working for me :-(
        For example:
        Keypress Yields Status according to Steve ;-)
        ======== ====== =============================
        ^V<S-Left> <Left> oops - should be <S-Left> or <S-C-D-\>
        ^V<D--> <D--> ok
        ^V<S-D--> <D--> oops - should be <S-D-->
        ^V<D-9> -nothing- confused(1)
        ^V<S-D-9> -nothing- confused(1)
        ^V<S-D-[> <D-[> oops - should be <S-D-[> or <D-}>
        ^V<S-D-=> <D-=> oops - should be <S-D-=> or <D-+>
        ^V<D-,> <D-,> ok
        ^V<S-D-,> <D-,> oops - should be <S-D-,>
        ^V<D-.> -nothing- ok - CMD-. is Apple's "escape"
        ^V<S-D-.> -nothing- oops - should be <S-D-.> or <D->>
        ^V<D-/> <D-/> ok
        ^V<S-D-/> <D-/> oops - should be <S-D-/>
        ^V<S-D-Left> <C-S-D-\> ok
        ^V<Del> <Del> ok
        ^V<D-Del> <D-^?> ok
        ^V<S-D-Del> <S-D-^?> ok
        ^V<D-BS> <C-D-H> ok
        ^V<S-D-BS> <C-S-D-H> ok
        ^V<D-\> <D-Bslash> ok
        ^V<S-D-\> <D-Bslash> oops - should be <S-D-Bslash>
        ^V<D-a> <D-a> ok
        ^V<S-D-a> <S-D-a> ok
        ^V<D-PgUp> <C-D-K> ok
        ^V<S-D-PgUp> <C-S-D-K> ok

        (1): I was at first confused at what happened when I tested <D-[0-9]>.
        After one keypress, nothing happened. After several, a character
        appears.
        This is explained in the digraphs help, ^V<decimal number> for
        special characters by character number.
        However, this shouldn't happen if modified by D- should it?
        After I got around this (by not using ^V), <D-9> IS recognised as
        <D-9> but <S-D-9> still comes out as <D-9>. The same applies for the
        other digits.

        Although this bug prevents me from moving up to version 7, I greatly
        appreciate the work that has gone into this release... "well done" to
        the developers! Here's hoping it turns out to be easy to fix :-)

        Steve
        I'm using OS-X 10.4.6, PPC/G4