Re: vim 7.0e binaries posted on macvim.org

  • Alex Knaub
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2006
      2006/4/20, Benji Fisher <benji@...>:
      > Thanks for the confirmation. If this is Panther, I guess it must
      > be a PPC. Does anyone have a report on the universal version on an
      > Intel Mac?
      >
      > Are you sure that antialiasing does not work? I think there is a
      > system-wide user preference, so that antialiasing does not kick in
      > unless the fonts are sufficiently small. When I try
      >
      > :set gfn=Monaco:h9
      > :set anti!
      > :set anti!

      Antialiasing does not work for me on 10.4.6 (PPC) , even with :set
      gfn=Monaco:h12
    • Adam Mercer
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2006
        On 20/04/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have a report on the universal version on an
        > Intel Mac?

        On my MacBook Pro (10.4.6) antialiasing doesn't work with the
        universal build from macvim.org, however in my own build of 7.0e02
        commenting out that code in gui_mac.c antialiasing works fine. The
        relevent options in my .vimrc are

        set guifont=Monaco\ 10
        set antialias

        Cheers

        Adam
      • Hans-Peter Meiser
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2006
          Benji Fisher schrieb am 19.04.2006:

          > Vim Mac fans:
          >
          > I have uploaded binaries of Vim.app for Mac OS X 10.3 and 10.4 to
          >
          > http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php#Downloading

          If I click on gvim in the vim70e7 folder, it starts my old version
          6.3.7? Antialiasing is working.

          Any thoughts?

          Hans-Peter

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2006
            On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 03:25:20PM +0200, Alex Knaub wrote:

            > Antialiasing does not work for me on 10.4.6 (PPC) , even with :set
            > gfn=Monaco:h12

            Does "not work" mean that you see no difference with

            :set anti!

            If so, it may be that your system-wide preference is for antialiasing to
            kick in at a smaller font size, maybe Monaco:h9 or Monaco:h8 . If "not
            work" means that the display is corrupted, that is more serious.

            On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:52:11AM -0400, Adam Mercer wrote:
            > On 20/04/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Does anyone have a report on the universal version on an
            > > Intel Mac?
            >
            > On my MacBook Pro (10.4.6) antialiasing doesn't work with the
            > universal build from macvim.org, however in my own build of 7.0e02
            > commenting out that code in gui_mac.c antialiasing works fine. The
            > relevent options in my .vimrc are
            >
            > set guifont=Monaco\ 10
            > set antialias

            Shouldn't that be Monaco:h10 ? I get an error message when I try
            Monaco\ 10.

            I said that my own testing was "limited." I guess it was limited
            (among other ways) to my PowerBook running Panther (10.3.9). When I try
            Vim.app on Tiger (iMac G4, OS X 10.4.5) I see problems. With either
            setting of 'antialias' I get corrupted text.

            I do not get a warm feeling for Apple when I learn that the
            universal binary that I compile behaved differently from the binary that
            you compile. :-(

            Thanks to both of you for the reports.

            --Benji Fisher
          • Adam Mercer
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 20, 2006
              On 20/04/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

              > Shouldn't that be Monaco:h10 ? I get an error message when I try
              > Monaco\ 10.

              Strange as Monaco\ 10 works for me.

              I've put screen shots of what I get up at http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~ram/vim

              vim1.png shows what I get using your build and mine using my .vimrc
              (which is also at the above location)

              and vim2.png shows what I get after

              :set gfn=Monaco:h9
              :set anti!
              :set anti!

              in each version. In my build the antialiasing works whereas in yours it doesn't.

              There is also a diff showing the difference between my version and the
              vim70e02 snapshot. My build is configured using the following flags

              ./configure --with-features=huge --enable-gui=carbon \
              --with-mac-arch=both --enable-perlinterp --enable-pythoninterp

              My univeral binary is also there.

              > I do not get a warm feeling for Apple when I learn that the
              > universal binary that I compile behaved differently from the binary that
              > you compile. :-(

              I agree, if you need any more information let me know.

              Cheers

              Adam

              PS: I have also tested both builds on my 10.4.6 Powerbook G4 and get
              the same results.