Re: viminfo file on Mac OS X

  • Dany St-Amant
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
      Le Lundi 12 novembre 2001, à 03:34 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

      > Sorry for the double posting, but I am not sure whether this
      > problem is specific to Mac OS X.
      >
      > I have been getting the warning
      >
      > viminfo: Illegal starting char in line: dd^@""-^ICHAR^I0^@^I\break
      >
      > After looking at my viminfo file, I find a few lines that looks like
      >
      > "q CHAR 0
      > ^2xnn^Mdd
      > ""- CHAR 0
      > \break
      >
      > so I think the ^M is being read as end-of-line. This looks like some
      > sort of fileformat problem; 'fileformat' is set to unix when I edit the
      > viminfo file.
      >
      > Any suggestions for how to fix this, other than not saving
      > registers that have <C-M>'s in them?

      I took a look, and I have a short term solution. In os_mac.h undefine
      USE_CR.
      This will fix this problem and the one you saw with system().

      On the down-side, you won't be able to source mac formatted files, nor
      use
      a mac formated tag file. I'll try to move those under something like a
      FEAT_SOURCE_FFS. The default for ffs won't contain mac and I don't know
      how the cut'n'paste between Classic and Vim will handle the end-of-line.

      I still wonder how they save a <C-J> in a register inside the viminfo
      under Unix,
      maybe as a <C-@> but in that case how they save a <C-@>?

      Dany
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
        Dany St-Amant wrote:

        > Le Lundi 12 novembre 2001, à 03:34 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

        [snip]

        > I took a look, and I have a short term solution. In os_mac.h undefine
        > USE_CR.
        > This will fix this problem and the one you saw with system().
        >
        > On the down-side, you won't be able to source mac formatted files, nor
        > use
        > a mac formated tag file. I'll try to move those under something like a
        > FEAT_SOURCE_FFS. The default for ffs won't contain mac and I don't know
        > how the cut'n'paste between Classic and Vim will handle the end-of-line.
        >
        > I still wonder how they save a <C-J> in a register inside the viminfo
        > under Unix,
        > maybe as a <C-@> but in that case how they save a <C-@>?
        >
        > Dany

        Thanks. I'll try that the next time I compile. Sorry to bug you, but I
        would still like more explicit instructions for how to determine $VIM at
        compile time before I do so.

        I'll have to see if the :source and tags issues cause any problems. I am
        not worried about cutting and pasting with Classic.

        --Benji Fisher

        P.S. When I got home, I noticed that the attachment was still missing from my
        vimrc post. I think that Mail.app is to blame. I'll try again tomorrow.