antialias in latest beta

  • Nicholas Cole
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2006
      Antialias doesn't seem to work in the latest beta. Is this a known bug?

    • Michael Dunn
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
        Ryan mentioned a fix for this yesterday:

        > Like I mentioned to someone else, you can fix the antialiasing issue on your own
        > my modifying gui_mac.c. On Line 132 you'll find the following:
        >
        > #ifdef MACOS_CONVERT
        > # define USE_ATSUI_DRAWING
        > ATSUStyle gFontStyle;
        > Boolean gIsFontFallbackSet;
        > #endif
        >
        > If you comment this block out, or add an #undef USE_ATSUI_DRAWING
        > immediately after, the antialiasing issue should go away. Also, I
        > need to build with --with-features=huge, otherwise I can't paste into
        > vim from other apps, I think because the multi_byte option isn't set
        > in with the --with-features=normal setting.

        I tried doing this but the compilation failed.

        When I compile using aap with the setting --with-features=normal (the
        default) I get antialiased text fine, but when I try "big" or "huge"
        the compilation fails. The tail end of the error message is:

        /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
        _enc2macroman
        _macroman2enc
        _mac_precompose_path
        _mac_string_convert
        _mac_conv_cleanup
        _mac_conv_init
        _mac_enc_to_cfstring
        _mac_enc_to_utf16
        _mac_utf16_to_enc
        collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
        Aap: Error in recipe "/Users/micdunn/Build/vim/vim7/src/main.aap" line
        368: Error executing commands for build object: Error in recipe
        "/Users/micdunn/Build/vim/vim7/src/main.aap" line 382: Shell command
        returned 1
        Aap: All messages are in the logfile: /Users/micdunn/Build/vim/AAPDIR/log

        I imagine this is some problem with the +mutlibyte option, but I have
        no idea how to procede.

        By the way, Benji's binaries from macvim.org lack antialiasing in both
        the Tiger and Panther versions.

        Cheers, Michael
      • ryan_newsgroups@mac.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
          Hmm.. I haven't tried compiling using aap, so I'm not sure what's
          happening there. Just curious though, you say when you build --with-
          features=normal, you get antialiased text, are you also able to paste
          text copied from a different app into vim? That was the main problem
          I had -- I could either have antialiased text, or a working paste
          function, but not both (until I modified gui_mac.c).

          -- Ryan

          On Apr 13, 2006, at 3:52 AM, Michael Dunn wrote:

          > Ryan mentioned a fix for this yesterday:
          >
          >> Like I mentioned to someone else, you can fix the antialiasing
          >> issue on your own
          >> my modifying gui_mac.c. On Line 132 you'll find the following:
          >>
          >> #ifdef MACOS_CONVERT
          >> # define USE_ATSUI_DRAWING
          >> ATSUStyle gFontStyle;
          >> Boolean gIsFontFallbackSet;
          >> #endif
          >>
          >> If you comment this block out, or add an #undef USE_ATSUI_DRAWING
          >> immediately after, the antialiasing issue should go away. Also, I
          >> need to build with --with-features=huge, otherwise I can't paste into
          >> vim from other apps, I think because the multi_byte option isn't set
          >> in with the --with-features=normal setting.
          >
          > I tried doing this but the compilation failed.
          >
          > When I compile using aap with the setting --with-features=normal (the
          > default) I get antialiased text fine, but when I try "big" or "huge"
          > the compilation fails. The tail end of the error message is:
          >
          > /usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
          > _enc2macroman
          > _macroman2enc
          > _mac_precompose_path
          > _mac_string_convert
          > _mac_conv_cleanup
          > _mac_conv_init
          > _mac_enc_to_cfstring
          > _mac_enc_to_utf16
          > _mac_utf16_to_enc
          > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
          > Aap: Error in recipe "/Users/micdunn/Build/vim/vim7/src/main.aap" line
          > 368: Error executing commands for build object: Error in recipe
          > "/Users/micdunn/Build/vim/vim7/src/main.aap" line 382: Shell command
          > returned 1
          > Aap: All messages are in the logfile: /Users/micdunn/Build/vim/
          > AAPDIR/log
          >
          > I imagine this is some problem with the +mutlibyte option, but I have
          > no idea how to procede.
          >
          > By the way, Benji's binaries from macvim.org lack antialiasing in both
          > the Tiger and Panther versions.
          >
          > Cheers, Michael
        • Michael Dunn
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
            On 13/04/06, ryan_newsgroups@... <ryan_newsgroups@...> wrote:
            > Hmm.. I haven't tried compiling using aap, so I'm not sure what's
            > happening there. Just curious though, you say when you build --with-
            > features=normal, you get antialiased text, are you also able to paste
            > text copied from a different app into vim? That was the main problem
            > I had -- I could either have antialiased text, or a working paste
            > function, but not both (until I modified gui_mac.c).

            Ouch! I hadn't tested that before. I get the same thing as you: if I
            try to paste into the version with antialiasing I just get a horrible
            bunch of ^@^@^@^@.

            I've rebuilt a big version with your modified gui_mac.c, and (to my
            surprise, since I thought I'd done this before) I have antialiased
            text and functioning paste. I don't really know what I'd doing with
            aap (this time I just used make). There are still some odd things:
            many of the multibyte characters are wrong, e.g. "<ctrl_k>d-" in
            insert mode should give an Icelandic thorn (crossed script d), but I
            get a little apple symbol instead.

            Cheers, Michael
          • ryan_newsgroups@mac.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 13, 2006
              >There are still some odd things:
              >many of the multibyte characters are wrong, e.g. "<ctrl_k>d-" in
              >insert mode should give an Icelandic thorn (crossed script d), but I
              >get a little apple symbol instead.

              My guess is that this is what disabling the USE_ATSUI_DRAWING feature breaks. I knew it had to break something, but I wasn't sure what, and since I never really use the multibyte character features, that's probably why I never came across it.

              Maybe I should read through this and see if I notice anything:
              <http://developer.apple.com/intl/atsui.html>

              -- Ryan

              On Thursday, April 13, 2006, at 09:29AM, Michael Dunn <misha.dunn@...> wrote:

              >On 13/04/06, ryan_newsgroups@... <ryan_newsgroups@...> wrote:
              >> Hmm.. I haven't tried compiling using aap, so I'm not sure what's
              >> happening there. Just curious though, you say when you build --with-
              >> features=normal, you get antialiased text, are you also able to paste
              >> text copied from a different app into vim? That was the main problem
              >> I had -- I could either have antialiased text, or a working paste
              >> function, but not both (until I modified gui_mac.c).
              >
              >Ouch! I hadn't tested that before. I get the same thing as you: if I
              >try to paste into the version with antialiasing I just get a horrible
              >bunch of ^@^@^@^@.
              >
              >I've rebuilt a big version with your modified gui_mac.c, and (to my
              >surprise, since I thought I'd done this before) I have antialiased
              >text and functioning paste. I don't really know what I'd doing with
              >aap (this time I just used make). There are still some odd things:
              >many of the multibyte characters are wrong, e.g. "<ctrl_k>d-" in
              >insert mode should give an Icelandic thorn (crossed script d), but I
              >get a little apple symbol instead.
              >
              >Cheers, Michael

              "Nothing soothes me more after a long and maddening course of pianoforte recitals than to sit and have my teeth drilled." -- George Bernard Shaw