a system vimrc file for Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
      A recent posting to the vim users' group explained how to get
      colors in the terminal vim on Mac OS X. I made a system vimrc file
      incorporating this. I also added a hack to set $PATH so that I can
      :!tex from within vim. Please try this out, either as a system vimrc or
      otherwise, and let me know what you think.

      --Benji Fisher

      P.S. Here is my understanding of the $PATH problem. I am not sure if
      this is related to tcsh, BSD, or Darwin (Mac OS X), but it seems that
      PATH is inherited when a new shell is spawned. You therefore cannot
      append /my/bin in a .tcshrc file, because you will get
      ...:/my/bin:/my/bin:/my/bin if you spawn a few shells. Therefore teTeX
      (and, I assume, other packages) add their bin directories to the PATH
      variable via the .login file. (There are a few levels of indirection.
      Start with /private/etc/csh.* .) Since vim calls a non-interactive
      shell, the .login is never sourced, and PATH is not what I like.
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
        Sorry, here is the attachment.

        --Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2001
          I'll try again. Also, a clarification: this vimrc file tries to
          solve one problem in the terminal version (no colors) and one problem in
          the Carbon version (unsatisfactory setting for $PATH).

          If the attachment works, you should be able to save it as is. If
          you use the in-line version below, you will have to replace all the
          "<Esc>" (five characters) with raw escape characters. (Suggestion: use
          the system clipboard to cut and paste into vim. In Insert mode, enter a
          raw escape as <C-V><Esc>. You can also save this e-mail and then edit
          it. If you are using Mail.app then the text is saved as rtf. You can
          open it with TextEdit.app and convert it to plain text.)

          --Benji Fisher