Re: Paste problems with version 7.0c2

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 4, 2006
      On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
      > On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
      > >
      > > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
      > > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
      > >
      > > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
      > >
      > > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
      >
      > I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
      > Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
      > works fine.

      In my testing, there is a problem with using the system clipboard
      (copying from Vim.app and pasting to another application, for example)
      if you compile vim with "normal" features. The problem goes away if you
      compile with "big" features; I think the difference is that "big"
      features gives you +multi_byte and +iconv .

      The problem with "big" features, according to the reports I have
      received, is that it messes up font drawing on Intel Macs.

      Decide which problem you can live with for now, and let's hope that
      it is fixed before vim 7.0 is released.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • 4mir Salihefendic
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
        I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
        this pasting issue...
        I don't have the rendering problem.
        The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.

        Kind regards
        Amir -- http://amix.dk/

        On 4/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
        > On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
        > > On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
        > > >
        > > > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
        > > > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
        > > >
        > > > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
        > > >
        > > > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
        > >
        > > I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
        > > Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
        > > works fine.
        >
        > In my testing, there is a problem with using the system clipboard
        > (copying from Vim.app and pasting to another application, for example)
        > if you compile vim with "normal" features. The problem goes away if you
        > compile with "big" features; I think the difference is that "big"
        > features gives you +multi_byte and +iconv .
        >
        > The problem with "big" features, according to the reports I have
        > received, is that it messes up font drawing on Intel Macs.
        >
        > Decide which problem you can live with for now, and let's hope that
        > it is fixed before vim 7.0 is released.
        >
        > HTH --Benji Fisher

      • 4mir Salihefendic
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
          On 4/5/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...> wrote:
          > On 4/5/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
          > > I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
          > > this pasting issue...
          > > I don't have the rendering problem.
          > > The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.
          > >

          > Did you do a "make distclean" beforehand? Compiling with the big feature set
          > seems to have eliminated the problem here (also on 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2.1).

          I downloaded the zip from the snapshot directory and extracted it on a
          new place. I.e. I didn't have old files.

          I don't use Xcode to build it. My gcc version is gcc version 4.0.0
          20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061).

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
            On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:21:27PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:
            > On 4/5/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...> wrote:
            > > On 4/5/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
            > > > I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
            > > > this pasting issue...
            > > > I don't have the rendering problem.
            > > > The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.

            I have not tried that version yet, so it is possible that something
            has changed in the last day or two. For now, please check

            :version

            to see whether you actually have "big" features (first line or two of
            the output) and +multi_byte +iconv in particular. If you do, I can test
            it on a similar system.

            > > Did you do a "make distclean" beforehand? Compiling with the big
            > > feature set seems to have eliminated the problem here (also on
            > > 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2.1).
            >
            > I downloaded the zip from the snapshot directory and extracted it on a
            > new place. I.e. I didn't have old files.
            >
            > I don't use Xcode to build it. My gcc version is gcc version 4.0.0
            > 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061).

            The version of Xcode is a convenient way to specify your
            environment. Also, your gcc version does not tell the whole story,
            since the libraries, frameworks, header files also play a big role.

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • 4mir Salihefendic
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 6, 2006
              Hi Benji

              I have now re-compiled and I have checked that +big feature set is
              set. The paste problem is gone, but I don't have any anti-aliasing.
              Anyway, a guy posted for some time ago a fix for the anti aliasing problem...

              Kind regards
              Amir