viminfo file on Mac OS X

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
      Sorry for the double posting, but I am not sure whether this
      problem is specific to Mac OS X.

      I have been getting the warning

      viminfo: Illegal starting char in line: dd^@""-^ICHAR^I0^@^I\break

      After looking at my viminfo file, I find a few lines that looks like

      "q CHAR 0
      ^2xnn^Mdd
      ""- CHAR 0
      \break

      so I think the ^M is being read as end-of-line. This looks like some
      sort of fileformat problem; 'fileformat' is set to unix when I edit the
      viminfo file.

      Any suggestions for how to fix this, other than not saving
      registers that have <C-M>'s in them?

      --Benji Fisher
    • Dany St-Amant
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
        Le Lundi 12 novembre 2001, à 03:34 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

        > Sorry for the double posting, but I am not sure whether this
        > problem is specific to Mac OS X.
        >
        > I have been getting the warning
        >
        > viminfo: Illegal starting char in line: dd^@""-^ICHAR^I0^@^I\break
        >
        > After looking at my viminfo file, I find a few lines that looks like
        >
        > "q CHAR 0
        > ^2xnn^Mdd
        > ""- CHAR 0
        > \break
        >
        > so I think the ^M is being read as end-of-line. This looks like some
        > sort of fileformat problem; 'fileformat' is set to unix when I edit the
        > viminfo file.
        >
        > Any suggestions for how to fix this, other than not saving
        > registers that have <C-M>'s in them?

        I took a look, and I have a short term solution. In os_mac.h undefine
        USE_CR.
        This will fix this problem and the one you saw with system().

        On the down-side, you won't be able to source mac formatted files, nor
        use
        a mac formated tag file. I'll try to move those under something like a
        FEAT_SOURCE_FFS. The default for ffs won't contain mac and I don't know
        how the cut'n'paste between Classic and Vim will handle the end-of-line.

        I still wonder how they save a <C-J> in a register inside the viminfo
        under Unix,
        maybe as a <C-@> but in that case how they save a <C-@>?

        Dany
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2001
          Dany St-Amant wrote:

          > Le Lundi 12 novembre 2001, à 03:34 , Benji Fisher a écrit :

          [snip]

          > I took a look, and I have a short term solution. In os_mac.h undefine
          > USE_CR.
          > This will fix this problem and the one you saw with system().
          >
          > On the down-side, you won't be able to source mac formatted files, nor
          > use
          > a mac formated tag file. I'll try to move those under something like a
          > FEAT_SOURCE_FFS. The default for ffs won't contain mac and I don't know
          > how the cut'n'paste between Classic and Vim will handle the end-of-line.
          >
          > I still wonder how they save a <C-J> in a register inside the viminfo
          > under Unix,
          > maybe as a <C-@> but in that case how they save a <C-@>?
          >
          > Dany

          Thanks. I'll try that the next time I compile. Sorry to bug you, but I
          would still like more explicit instructions for how to determine $VIM at
          compile time before I do so.

          I'll have to see if the :source and tags issues cause any problems. I am
          not worried about cutting and pasting with Classic.

          --Benji Fisher

          P.S. When I got home, I noticed that the attachment was still missing from my
          vimrc post. I think that Mail.app is to blame. I'll try again tomorrow.