Paste problems with version 7.0c2

  • 4mir Salihefendic
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2006
      I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.

      The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
      pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.

      I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].

      This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.

      The former discussion can be found here:

      Kind regards
      Amir
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 30, 2006
        On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:59:15PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:
        > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
        >
        > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
        > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
        >
        > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
        >
        > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
        >
        > The former discussion can be found here:

        That hurts.

        I forgot to mention, in my call for testing: please be specific
        about the version of Vim.app that you are testing, and your OS. I think
        the only version of 7.0c2 is the universal one, so that is OK, but in
        the future, please specify ppc, intel, or universal. Since you are
        running OS X 10.4.x, please specify PPC or Intel.

        Can anyone reproduce this bug? Are the other binaries currently
        posted any better?

        --Benji Fisher
      • 4mir Salihefendic
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 30, 2006
          Hi Benji

          I will be more specific in the future. I am on a Powermac G5 (i.e. a
          PPC architure).

          This problem got fixed in the snapshot vim-7.0232, but it managed to come back.
          The vim-7.0232 had problems with anti-aliasing thought (which in 7.0c2
          is fixed).

          Kind regards
          Amir

          On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
          > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 04:59:15PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:
          > > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
          > >
          > > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
          > > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
          > >
          > > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
          > >
          > > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
          > >
          > > The former discussion can be found here:
          >
          > That hurts.
          >
          > I forgot to mention, in my call for testing: please be specific
          > about the version of Vim.app that you are testing, and your OS. I think
          > the only version of 7.0c2 is the universal one, so that is OK, but in
          > the future, please specify ppc, intel, or universal. Since you are
          > running OS X 10.4.x, please specify PPC or Intel.
          >
          > Can anyone reproduce this bug? Are the other binaries currently
          > posted any better?
          >
          > --Benji Fisher

        • Chris Fonnesbeck
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 4, 2006
            On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:

            > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
            >
            > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
            > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
            >
            > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
            >
            > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.

            I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
            Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
            works fine.

            C.

            --
            Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 4, 2006
              On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
              > On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
              > >
              > > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
              > > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
              > >
              > > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
              > >
              > > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
              >
              > I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
              > Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
              > works fine.

              In my testing, there is a problem with using the system clipboard
              (copying from Vim.app and pasting to another application, for example)
              if you compile vim with "normal" features. The problem goes away if you
              compile with "big" features; I think the difference is that "big"
              features gives you +multi_byte and +iconv .

              The problem with "big" features, according to the reports I have
              received, is that it messes up font drawing on Intel Macs.

              Decide which problem you can live with for now, and let's hope that
              it is fixed before vim 7.0 is released.

              HTH --Benji Fisher
            • 4mir Salihefendic
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
                I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
                this pasting issue...
                I don't have the rendering problem.
                The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.

                Kind regards
                Amir -- http://amix.dk/

                On 4/5/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                > On Tue, Apr 04, 2006 at 02:40:34PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
                > > On 3/30/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I have just downloaded 7.0c2 from http://macvim.org/OSX/index.php.
                > > >
                > > > The paste problem that was reported a while back is _back_. I.e. the
                > > > pasted text is converted to some kind of Asian alphabet.
                > > >
                > > > I am on 10.4.5 [danish version with danish keyboard].
                > > >
                > > > This was "fixed" in a snapshot a while back.
                > >
                > > I can confirm that this problem persists in the latest snapshot (7.0c08).
                > > Essentially no pasting outside of vim works correctly; pasting within vim
                > > works fine.
                >
                > In my testing, there is a problem with using the system clipboard
                > (copying from Vim.app and pasting to another application, for example)
                > if you compile vim with "normal" features. The problem goes away if you
                > compile with "big" features; I think the difference is that "big"
                > features gives you +multi_byte and +iconv .
                >
                > The problem with "big" features, according to the reports I have
                > received, is that it messes up font drawing on Intel Macs.
                >
                > Decide which problem you can live with for now, and let's hope that
                > it is fixed before vim 7.0 is released.
                >
                > HTH --Benji Fisher

              • 4mir Salihefendic
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
                  On 4/5/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...> wrote:
                  > On 4/5/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
                  > > I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
                  > > this pasting issue...
                  > > I don't have the rendering problem.
                  > > The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.
                  > >

                  > Did you do a "make distclean" beforehand? Compiling with the big feature set
                  > seems to have eliminated the problem here (also on 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2.1).

                  I downloaded the zip from the snapshot directory and extracted it on a
                  new place. I.e. I didn't have old files.

                  I don't use Xcode to build it. My gcc version is gcc version 4.0.0
                  20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061).

                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
                    On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 07:21:27PM +0200, 4mir Salihefendic wrote:
                    > On 4/5/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...> wrote:
                    > > On 4/5/06, 4mir Salihefendic <amix@...> wrote:
                    > > > I just tried to recompile with the big feature set and I still have
                    > > > this pasting issue...
                    > > > I don't have the rendering problem.
                    > > > The version I used was vim-7.0c09 and on PPC 10.4.5.

                    I have not tried that version yet, so it is possible that something
                    has changed in the last day or two. For now, please check

                    :version

                    to see whether you actually have "big" features (first line or two of
                    the output) and +multi_byte +iconv in particular. If you do, I can test
                    it on a similar system.

                    > > Did you do a "make distclean" beforehand? Compiling with the big
                    > > feature set seems to have eliminated the problem here (also on
                    > > 10.4.5 and Xcode 2.2.1).
                    >
                    > I downloaded the zip from the snapshot directory and extracted it on a
                    > new place. I.e. I didn't have old files.
                    >
                    > I don't use Xcode to build it. My gcc version is gcc version 4.0.0
                    > 20041026 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 4061).

                    The version of Xcode is a convenient way to specify your
                    environment. Also, your gcc version does not tell the whole story,
                    since the libraries, frameworks, header files also play a big role.

                    HTH --Benji Fisher
                  • 4mir Salihefendic
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 6, 2006
                      Hi Benji

                      I have now re-compiled and I have checked that +big feature set is
                      set. The paste problem is gone, but I don't have any anti-aliasing.
                      Anyway, a guy posted for some time ago a fix for the anti aliasing problem...

                      Kind regards
                      Amir