Re: ImageIO linking error building vim7 on Tiger

  • Chris Fonnesbeck
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
      On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

      > On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 07:19:08PM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
      > > Hi folks,
      > >
      > > I am having some trouble getting vim7 to build from CVS on Tiger 10.4.5.
      > > get the following error:
      > >
      > > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -arch ppc
      > ^^^
      > It looks as though you are compiling a native binary, not
      > universal.
      >

      > /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Developer/Headers/CFMCarbon/ImageIO/ImageIO.h
      >

      > That is the SDK for compiling a universal binary. Do you also have
      > that file in the PPC-only header files?

      I do:

      /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4.0.sdk/Developer/Headers/CFMCarbon/ImageIO/ImageIO.h

      > I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
      > .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or perhaps
      > it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
      > might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
      > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/

      I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
      Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:

      checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
      checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
      configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by
      the preprocessor!
      configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
      checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes

      then, further along:

      Creating Info.plist
      m4 -DAPP_EXE=Vim -DAPP_NAME=Vim -DAPP_VER=7.0c -DICON_APP=gui_mac.icns
      infplist.xml > Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
      cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
      cp doc-txt.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/doc-txt.icns
      make[2]: *** No rule to make target `os_mac.rsr.hqx', needed by
      `bundle-rsrc'. Stop.
      make[1]: *** [myself] Error 2
      make: *** [first] Error 2

      Not sure why all this is happening.

      Thanks,
      --
      Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
        On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
        > On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
        > > .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or perhaps
        > > it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
        > > might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
        > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
        > >

        > I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
        > Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:
        >
        > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
        > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
        > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by
        > the preprocessor!
        > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
        > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes

        I am testing, as I write, with XCode 2.2.1 (upgraded yesterday) on
        OS X 10.4.5 on a PPC iMac. I just downloaded the 7.0c03 snapshot,
        unzip'ped it, changed to the src/ directory, and used "make". I get
        three yes's for those configure checks.

        If you are getting different results with the same sources, maybe
        there is something wrong with your installation of XCode? I hate to
        suggest re-installing it, but I do not know a better idea,

        > then, further along:
        >
        > Creating Info.plist
        > m4 -DAPP_EXE=Vim -DAPP_NAME=Vim -DAPP_VER=7.0c -DICON_APP=gui_mac.icns
        > infplist.xml > Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
        > cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
        > cp doc-txt.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/doc-txt.icns
        > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `os_mac.rsr.hqx', needed by
        > `bundle-rsrc'. Stop.
        > make[1]: *** [myself] Error 2
        > make: *** [first] Error 2
        >
        > Not sure why all this is happening.

        That suggests a problem with your sources. Did you let Stuffit
        take over?

        $ unzip -l vim-7.0c03.zip | grep hqx
        817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
        42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx

        Forget about re-installing XCode!

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Chris Fonnesbeck
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
          On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
          > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
          > > On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
          >
          > That suggests a problem with your sources. Did you let Stuffit
          > take over?
          >
          > $ unzip -l vim-7.0c03.zip | grep hqx
          > 817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
          > 42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx
          >
          > Forget about re-installing XCode!

          No, it seems to be fine:

          Oliver:~/Downloads chris$ unzip -l vi*zip | grep hqx
          817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
          42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx

          --
          Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
        • Chris Allen
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
            On 3/30/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...> wrote:
            > No, it seems to be fine:
            >
            > Oliver:~/Downloads chris$ unzip -l vi*zip | grep hqx
            > 817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
            > 42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx

            Present and accounted for in the zip file, but Stuffit will not
            extract the .hqx file, which is probably why yours is missing.

            HTH,
            Chris Allen
          • Chris Fonnesbeck
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2006
              On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

              > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
              > > On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
              > > > .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or
              > perhaps
              > > > it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
              > > > might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
              > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
              > > >

              > > I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
              > > Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:
              > >
              > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
              > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
              > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected
              > by
              > > the preprocessor!
              > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's
              > result
              > > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes
              >
              > I am testing, as I write, with XCode 2.2.1 (upgraded yesterday) on
              > OS X 10.4.5 on a PPC iMac. I just downloaded the 7.0c03 snapshot,
              > unzip'ped it, changed to the src/ directory, and used "make". I get
              > three yes's for those configure checks.
              >
              > If you are getting different results with the same sources, maybe
              > there is something wrong with your installation of XCode? I hate to
              > suggest re-installing it, but I do not know a better idea,

              I use Xcode to build all sorts of applications (including Carbon apps), and
              I have never seen this error before. Here is my gcc version info:

              Oliver:~/Development chris$ gcc -v
              Using built-in specs.
              Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8
              Configured with:
              /private/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5247.obj~4/src/configure--disable-checking
              -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man
              --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++
              --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/
              --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8
              --host=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8
              Thread model: posix
              gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)

              I tried re-installing xcode, but it will not let me; it tells me that there
              is nothing to install. Apparently the installer is not able to do a
              re-installation.

              --
              Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 09:43:11PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
                > On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                > > > I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
                > > > Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:
                > > >
                > > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
                > > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
                > > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected
                > > > by
                > > > the preprocessor!
                > > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's
                > > > result
                > > > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes
                > >
                > > I am testing, as I write, with XCode 2.2.1 (upgraded yesterday) on
                > > OS X 10.4.5 on a PPC iMac. I just downloaded the 7.0c03 snapshot,
                > > unzip'ped it, changed to the src/ directory, and used "make". I get
                > > three yes's for those configure checks.
                > >
                > > If you are getting different results with the same sources, maybe
                > > there is something wrong with your installation of XCode? I hate to
                > > suggest re-installing it, but I do not know a better idea,
                >
                > I use Xcode to build all sorts of applications (including Carbon apps), and
                > I have never seen this error before. Here is my gcc version info:
                >
                > Oliver:~/Development chris$ gcc -v
                [snip]
                > gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)
                >
                > I tried re-installing xcode, but it will not let me; it tells me that there
                > is nothing to install. Apparently the installer is not able to do a
                > re-installation.

                Now that I look at it again, I think I have seen those warning
                messages from configure before. Maybe when I switched between compiling
                native and universal binaries? You did not say which version of the
                sources you were using, and I would certainly check that before thinking
                about upgrading Xcode. If you are already using the vim 7.0c03
                snapshot, "make clean" is probably not good enough; "make distclean"
                might be; but deleting and then unzipp'ing again is safest.

                Did I mention to use unzip and not let Stuffit get involved?

                FWIW I have gcc build 5250:
                $ gcc -v
                [snip]
                gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)

                If you are still having trouble, and still want to fix it, I think
                the next step is to look at the configure script and figure out what it
                is actually doing when it spits out those warning messages.

                HTH --Benji Fisher
              • Chris Fonnesbeck
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                  On 4/3/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                  > FWIW I have gcc build 5250:
                  > $ gcc -v
                  > [snip]
                  > gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
                  >
                  > If you are still having trouble, and still want to fix it, I think
                  > the next step is to look at the configure script and figure out what it
                  > is actually doing when it spits out those warning messages.

                  I managed to get a CVS build to work by explicitly choosing a universal
                  binary (which is odd,since I am on a G4). Thanks for your help though.

                  Also, the modified plist (which allows for file associations) does not
                  appear to have made it into cvs. It doesnt work on this build, at any rate.

                  Thanks,
                  Chris

                  --
                  Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2006
                    On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:42:08PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:

                    > I managed to get a CVS build to work by explicitly choosing a universal
                    > binary (which is odd,since I am on a G4). Thanks for your help though.
                    >
                    > Also, the modified plist (which allows for file associations) does not
                    > appear to have made it into cvs. It doesnt work on this build, at any rate.

                    I guess we never were compiling the same sources.

                    I did say from the start that I did not trust CVS. Besides my own
                    nervousness (mostly because I tweak the sources and then am not
                    confident that I can get back to a clean state) the CVS archive of vim
                    normally lags the cutting edge by a few days. Lately, there have been
                    troubles with the CVS server, so the lag is worse.

                    If you want to get file associations to work, you can get the
                    source from a recent snapshot:
                    ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
                    In another day or two, there should be further changes to Info.plist and
                    (at least one, maybe more) document icons.

                    HTH --Benji Fisher
                  • Chris Fonnesbeck
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 4, 2006
                      On 4/3/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                      > I did say from the start that I did not trust CVS. Besides my own
                      > nervousness (mostly because I tweak the sources and then am not
                      > confident that I can get back to a clean state) the CVS archive of vim
                      > normally lags the cutting edge by a few days. Lately, there have been
                      > troubles with the CVS server, so the lag is worse.
                      >
                      > If you want to get file associations to work, you can get the
                      > source from a recent snapshot:
                      > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
                      > In another day or two, there should be further changes to Info.plist and
                      > (at least one, maybe more) document icons.

                      Sorry for the misunderstanding; I'm just used to having the most recent
                      development code in cvs.

                      C.

                      --
                      Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us