ImageIO linking error building vim7 on Tiger

  • Chris Fonnesbeck
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 29, 2006
      Hi folks,

      I am having some trouble getting vim7 to build from CVS on Tiger 10.4.5. I
      get the following error:

      gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -arch ppc
      -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -O
      -fno-strength-reduce -Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include
      -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -o
      objects/os_mac_conv.o os_mac_conv.c
      In file included from /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon/QuickDraw.h:1,
      from os_mac.h:26,
      from vim.h:295,
      from os_mac_conv.c:17:
      /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices.h:58:29:
      error: ImageIO/ImageIO.h: No such file or directory

      I have this file at:

      /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Developer/Headers/CFMCarbon/ImageIO/ImageIO.h

      What's strange is the Carbon messages in configure:

      checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... no
      checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
      checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... no

      This is strange, since I have the latest Xcode installed. Shouldnt
      Carbon.hbe installed at FlatCarbon/Carbon.h? Should I just provide a
      symbolic link?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      C.

      --
      Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 29, 2006
        On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 07:19:08PM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I am having some trouble getting vim7 to build from CVS on Tiger 10.4.5. I
        > get the following error:
        >
        > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -arch ppc
        ^^^
        It looks as though you are compiling a native binary, not
        universal.

        > -DMACOS_X_UNIX -no-cpp-precomp -I/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon -O
        > -fno-strength-reduce -Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include
        > -I/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/include/python2.4 -o
        > objects/os_mac_conv.o os_mac_conv.c
        > In file included from /Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon/QuickDraw.h:1,
        > from os_mac.h:26,
        > from vim.h:295,
        > from os_mac_conv.c:17:
        > /System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Headers/ApplicationServices.h:58:29:
        > error: ImageIO/ImageIO.h: No such file or directory
        >
        > I have this file at:
        >
        > /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Developer/Headers/CFMCarbon/ImageIO/ImageIO.h

        That is the SDK for compiling a universal binary. Do you also have
        that file in the PPC-only header files?

        > What's strange is the Carbon messages in configure:
        >
        > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... no
        > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
        > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... no
        >
        > This is strange, since I have the latest Xcode installed. Shouldnt
        > Carbon.hbe installed at FlatCarbon/Carbon.h? Should I just provide a
        > symbolic link?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help.

        I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
        .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or perhaps
        it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
        might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/

        HTH --Benji Fisher
      • Chris Fonnesbeck
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
          On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

          > On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 07:19:08PM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
          > > Hi folks,
          > >
          > > I am having some trouble getting vim7 to build from CVS on Tiger 10.4.5.
          > > get the following error:
          > >
          > > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA -arch ppc
          > ^^^
          > It looks as though you are compiling a native binary, not
          > universal.
          >

          > /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk/Developer/Headers/CFMCarbon/ImageIO/ImageIO.h
          >

          > That is the SDK for compiling a universal binary. Do you also have
          > that file in the PPC-only header files?

          I do:

          /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4.0.sdk/Developer/Headers/CFMCarbon/ImageIO/ImageIO.h

          > I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
          > .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or perhaps
          > it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
          > might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
          > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/

          I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
          Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:

          checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
          checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
          configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by
          the preprocessor!
          configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
          checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes

          then, further along:

          Creating Info.plist
          m4 -DAPP_EXE=Vim -DAPP_NAME=Vim -DAPP_VER=7.0c -DICON_APP=gui_mac.icns
          infplist.xml > Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
          cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
          cp doc-txt.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/doc-txt.icns
          make[2]: *** No rule to make target `os_mac.rsr.hqx', needed by
          `bundle-rsrc'. Stop.
          make[1]: *** [myself] Error 2
          make: *** [first] Error 2

          Not sure why all this is happening.

          Thanks,
          --
          Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
            On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
            > On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
            > > .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or perhaps
            > > it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
            > > might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
            > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
            > >

            > I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
            > Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:
            >
            > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
            > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
            > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected by
            > the preprocessor!
            > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
            > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes

            I am testing, as I write, with XCode 2.2.1 (upgraded yesterday) on
            OS X 10.4.5 on a PPC iMac. I just downloaded the 7.0c03 snapshot,
            unzip'ped it, changed to the src/ directory, and used "make". I get
            three yes's for those configure checks.

            If you are getting different results with the same sources, maybe
            there is something wrong with your installation of XCode? I hate to
            suggest re-installing it, but I do not know a better idea,

            > then, further along:
            >
            > Creating Info.plist
            > m4 -DAPP_EXE=Vim -DAPP_NAME=Vim -DAPP_VER=7.0c -DICON_APP=gui_mac.icns
            > infplist.xml > Vim.app/Contents/Info.plist
            > cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
            > cp doc-txt.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/doc-txt.icns
            > make[2]: *** No rule to make target `os_mac.rsr.hqx', needed by
            > `bundle-rsrc'. Stop.
            > make[1]: *** [myself] Error 2
            > make: *** [first] Error 2
            >
            > Not sure why all this is happening.

            That suggests a problem with your sources. Did you let Stuffit
            take over?

            $ unzip -l vim-7.0c03.zip | grep hqx
            817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
            42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx

            Forget about re-installing XCode!

            HTH --Benji Fisher
          • Chris Fonnesbeck
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
              On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
              > > On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
              >
              > That suggests a problem with your sources. Did you let Stuffit
              > take over?
              >
              > $ unzip -l vim-7.0c03.zip | grep hqx
              > 817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
              > 42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx
              >
              > Forget about re-installing XCode!

              No, it seems to be fine:

              Oliver:~/Downloads chris$ unzip -l vi*zip | grep hqx
              817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
              42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx

              --
              Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
            • Chris Allen
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 30, 2006
                On 3/30/06, Chris Fonnesbeck <fonnesbeck@...> wrote:
                > No, it seems to be fine:
                >
                > Oliver:~/Downloads chris$ unzip -l vi*zip | grep hqx
                > 817 06-07-04 10:32 src/dehqx.py
                > 42628 06-07-04 10:32 src/os_mac.rsr.hqx

                Present and accounted for in the zip file, but Stuffit will not
                extract the .hqx file, which is probably why yours is missing.

                HTH,
                Chris Allen
              • Chris Fonnesbeck
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2 6:43 PM
                  On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                  > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 07:25:53AM -0500, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
                  > > On 3/29/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I have no trouble with a PPC running OS X 10.4.5 (not sure of the
                  > > > .5, but I think it is) and XCode 2.2. I do not trust CVS ... or
                  > perhaps
                  > > > it is more accurate to say that I do not trust myself with CVS. You
                  > > > might have better luck downloading the vim sources from
                  > > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
                  > > >

                  > > I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
                  > > Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:
                  > >
                  > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
                  > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
                  > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected
                  > by
                  > > the preprocessor!
                  > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's
                  > result
                  > > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes
                  >
                  > I am testing, as I write, with XCode 2.2.1 (upgraded yesterday) on
                  > OS X 10.4.5 on a PPC iMac. I just downloaded the 7.0c03 snapshot,
                  > unzip'ped it, changed to the src/ directory, and used "make". I get
                  > three yes's for those configure checks.
                  >
                  > If you are getting different results with the same sources, maybe
                  > there is something wrong with your installation of XCode? I hate to
                  > suggest re-installing it, but I do not know a better idea,

                  I use Xcode to build all sorts of applications (including Carbon apps), and
                  I have never seen this error before. Here is my gcc version info:

                  Oliver:~/Development chris$ gcc -v
                  Using built-in specs.
                  Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8
                  Configured with:
                  /private/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5247.obj~4/src/configure--disable-checking
                  -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man
                  --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++
                  --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/
                  --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8
                  --host=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8
                  Thread model: posix
                  gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)

                  I tried re-installing xcode, but it will not let me; it tells me that there
                  is nothing to install. Apparently the installer is not able to do a
                  re-installation.

                  --
                  Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3 6:00 AM
                    On Sun, Apr 02, 2006 at 09:43:11PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:
                    > On 3/30/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                    > > > I have tried building a snapshot, and specifying a universal binary.
                    > > > Unfortunately, I run into all sorts of problems:
                    > > >
                    > > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h usability... yes
                    > > > checking Carbon/Carbon.h presence... no
                    > > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: accepted by the compiler, rejected
                    > > > by
                    > > > the preprocessor!
                    > > > configure: WARNING: Carbon/Carbon.h: proceeding with the compiler's
                    > > > result
                    > > > checking for Carbon/Carbon.h... yes
                    > >
                    > > I am testing, as I write, with XCode 2.2.1 (upgraded yesterday) on
                    > > OS X 10.4.5 on a PPC iMac. I just downloaded the 7.0c03 snapshot,
                    > > unzip'ped it, changed to the src/ directory, and used "make". I get
                    > > three yes's for those configure checks.
                    > >
                    > > If you are getting different results with the same sources, maybe
                    > > there is something wrong with your installation of XCode? I hate to
                    > > suggest re-installing it, but I do not know a better idea,
                    >
                    > I use Xcode to build all sorts of applications (including Carbon apps), and
                    > I have never seen this error before. Here is my gcc version info:
                    >
                    > Oliver:~/Development chris$ gcc -v
                    [snip]
                    > gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5247)
                    >
                    > I tried re-installing xcode, but it will not let me; it tells me that there
                    > is nothing to install. Apparently the installer is not able to do a
                    > re-installation.

                    Now that I look at it again, I think I have seen those warning
                    messages from configure before. Maybe when I switched between compiling
                    native and universal binaries? You did not say which version of the
                    sources you were using, and I would certainly check that before thinking
                    about upgrading Xcode. If you are already using the vim 7.0c03
                    snapshot, "make clean" is probably not good enough; "make distclean"
                    might be; but deleting and then unzipp'ing again is safest.

                    Did I mention to use unzip and not let Stuffit get involved?

                    FWIW I have gcc build 5250:
                    $ gcc -v
                    [snip]
                    gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)

                    If you are still having trouble, and still want to fix it, I think
                    the next step is to look at the configure script and figure out what it
                    is actually doing when it spits out those warning messages.

                    HTH --Benji Fisher
                  • Chris Fonnesbeck
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3 9:42 AM
                      On 4/3/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                      > FWIW I have gcc build 5250:
                      > $ gcc -v
                      > [snip]
                      > gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5250)
                      >
                      > If you are still having trouble, and still want to fix it, I think
                      > the next step is to look at the configure script and figure out what it
                      > is actually doing when it spits out those warning messages.

                      I managed to get a CVS build to work by explicitly choosing a universal
                      binary (which is odd,since I am on a G4). Thanks for your help though.

                      Also, the modified plist (which allows for file associations) does not
                      appear to have made it into cvs. It doesnt work on this build, at any rate.

                      Thanks,
                      Chris

                      --
                      Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3 8:26 PM
                        On Mon, Apr 03, 2006 at 12:42:08PM -0400, Chris Fonnesbeck wrote:

                        > I managed to get a CVS build to work by explicitly choosing a universal
                        > binary (which is odd,since I am on a G4). Thanks for your help though.
                        >
                        > Also, the modified plist (which allows for file associations) does not
                        > appear to have made it into cvs. It doesnt work on this build, at any rate.

                        I guess we never were compiling the same sources.

                        I did say from the start that I did not trust CVS. Besides my own
                        nervousness (mostly because I tweak the sources and then am not
                        confident that I can get back to a clean state) the CVS archive of vim
                        normally lags the cutting edge by a few days. Lately, there have been
                        troubles with the CVS server, so the lag is worse.

                        If you want to get file associations to work, you can get the
                        source from a recent snapshot:
                        ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
                        In another day or two, there should be further changes to Info.plist and
                        (at least one, maybe more) document icons.

                        HTH --Benji Fisher
                      • Chris Fonnesbeck
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4 6:18 AM
                          On 4/3/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:

                          > I did say from the start that I did not trust CVS. Besides my own
                          > nervousness (mostly because I tweak the sources and then am not
                          > confident that I can get back to a clean state) the CVS archive of vim
                          > normally lags the cutting edge by a few days. Lately, there have been
                          > troubles with the CVS server, so the lag is worse.
                          >
                          > If you want to get file associations to work, you can get the
                          > source from a recent snapshot:
                          > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/
                          > In another day or two, there should be further changes to Info.plist and
                          > (at least one, maybe more) document icons.

                          Sorry for the misunderstanding; I'm just used to having the most recent
                          development code in cvs.

                          C.

                          --
                          Chris Fonnesbeck + Atlanta, GA + http://trichech.us