Re: Vim.app directory structure

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
      On 23 mars 06, at 12:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      >> I see this in the make:
      >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
      >>
      >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
      >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
      >> an icon to the app:
      >>
      >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
      >> Contents
      >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
      >> Contents Icon
      >
      > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
      > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
      > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

      I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
      this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
      away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
      Strange.

      Alan

      --
      Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
      happen.
      .O.
      ..O
      OOO
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
        Alan Schmitt wrote:

        > >> I see this in the make:
        > >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
        > >>
        > >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
        > >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
        > >> an icon to the app:
        > >>
        > >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
        > >> Contents
        > >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
        > >> Contents Icon
        > >
        > > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
        > > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
        > > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.
        >
        > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
        > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
        > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
        > Strange.

        I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
        produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

        251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.

      • Jussi Hagman
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
          On 24.3.2006, at 10:15, Alan Schmitt wrote:
          > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
          > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
          > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
          > Strange.

          Not at all, Finder does some caching of the icon, so what you see is
          not always the real thing. I guess there was an icon all the time but
          Finder was just being too aggressive with caching.

        • Jeremy Conlin
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006

            > I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
            > produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

            I just use aap to download and compile the latest snapshot (7.0232) of
            Vim. When everything finished I got the following error

            09:21:15 hamrollup ~$ vim
            Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
            Vim: Finished.
            Bus error

            However when I compile the source code manually (i.e. not using aap)
            then it works. Also, I noticed that when compiling with aap, only one
            of my two cores on my MacBook gets used at a time, but when compiling
            manually, both are used. I know Bram is still working on updating
            this, just wanted you to be aware of the issues I had. Hope it helps.
            Thanks for the great work!
            Jeremy