Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Vim.app directory structure

Expand Messages
  • Bram Moolenaar
    ... Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim ? It doesn t happen for me. What configure options did you use
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
      Alan Schmitt wrote:

      > I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
      > comments:
      > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
      > "helptags ." -c quit
      > /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
      > Vim: No such file or directory
      > make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
      >
      > The path to the application should be:
      > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      > (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
      > Resources/vim/)

      Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
      "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
      configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
      make?

      > Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.

      An icon should already be added.

      > Thanks for this nice OS X integration.

      The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
      for any trouble.

      --
      hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
      212. Your Internet group window has more icons than your Accessories window.

      /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
      /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
      \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
      \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl ///
    • Benji Fisher
      ... If this is causing problems, I have to apologize, since I suggested the change and have not had time to test it yet. (Among other things, I am trying to
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
        On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:16:04PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
        > for any trouble.

        If this is causing problems, I have to apologize, since I suggested
        the change and have not had time to test it yet. (Among other things, I
        am trying to sort out the various TeX file types before vim 7.0 goes
        beta.) The goal of the change is to make it possible for users to
        associate file types to Vim.app . (This worked for me in testing, but I
        also had a modified Info.plist, so I am not sure that the change in
        directory structure is enough.)

        --Benji Fisher
      • Alan Schmitt
        ... I did: cvs checkout cd vim7/src ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge make make install with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs).
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
          On 22 mars 06, at 12:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Alan Schmitt wrote:
          >
          >> I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
          >> comments:
          >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
          >> "helptags ." -c quit
          >> /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
          >> Vim: No such file or directory
          >> make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
          >>
          >> The path to the application should be:
          >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
          >> (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
          >> Resources/vim/)
          >
          > Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
          > "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
          > configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
          > make?

          I did:
          cvs checkout
          cd vim7/src
          ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge
          make
          make install

          with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs). The error was
          when running "make install".

          Maybe the problem is with the definition of "prefix" at the beginning
          of the install:

          srcdir=`pwd`; make -f Makefile installruntime \
          VIMEXE=$srcdir/Vim \
          prefix=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim \
          VIMRTLOC=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

          >> Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.
          >
          > An icon should already be added.

          I see this in the make:
          cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns

          but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
          Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
          an icon to the app:

          schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
          Contents
          schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
          Contents Icon

          >> Thanks for this nice OS X integration.
          >
          > The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
          > for any trouble.

          I'll keep my eyes opened.

          Thanks again.

          Alan

          --
          Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

          The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
          happen.
          .O.
          ..O
          OOO
        • Bram Moolenaar
          ... OK, apparently the help tags file didn t get updated when building Vim. I suppose this happens when you built Vim before and the runtime link was already
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 23, 2006
            Alan Schmitt wrote:

            > On 22 mars 06, at 12:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >
            > > Alan Schmitt wrote:
            > >
            > >> I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
            > >> comments:
            > >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
            > >> "helptags ." -c quit
            > >> /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
            > >> Vim: No such file or directory
            > >> make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
            > >>
            > >> The path to the application should be:
            > >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            > >> (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
            > >> Resources/vim/)
            > >
            > > Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
            > > "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
            > > configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
            > > make?
            >
            > I did:
            > cvs checkout
            > cd vim7/src
            > ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge
            > make
            > make install
            >
            > with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs). The error was
            > when running "make install".
            >
            > Maybe the problem is with the definition of "prefix" at the beginning
            > of the install:
            >
            > srcdir=`pwd`; make -f Makefile installruntime \
            > VIMEXE=$srcdir/Vim \
            > prefix=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim \
            > VIMRTLOC=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

            OK, apparently the help tags file didn't get updated when building Vim.
            I suppose this happens when you built Vim before and the "runtime" link
            was already present.

            I'll move that from "make" to "make install". That is more logical
            anyway.

            > >> Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.
            > >
            > > An icon should already be added.
            >
            > I see this in the make:
            > cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
            >
            > but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
            > Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
            > an icon to the app:
            >
            > schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
            > Contents
            > schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
            > Contents Icon

            I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
            no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
            copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

            --
            A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle.

            /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
            /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
            \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
            \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl ///
          • Alan Schmitt
            ... I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone away (i.e. I removed
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
              On 23 mars 06, at 12:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              >> I see this in the make:
              >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
              >>
              >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
              >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
              >> an icon to the app:
              >>
              >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
              >> Contents
              >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
              >> Contents Icon
              >
              > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
              > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
              > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

              I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
              this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
              away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
              Strange.

              Alan

              --
              Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

              The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
              happen.
              .O.
              ..O
              OOO
            • Bram Moolenaar
              ... I was working on making aap install work yesterday and the Vim.app it produced does have an Icon. I don t know why it failed for you before. --
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                Alan Schmitt wrote:

                > >> I see this in the make:
                > >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
                > >>
                > >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                > >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                > >> an icon to the app:
                > >>
                > >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                > >> Contents
                > >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                > >> Contents Icon
                > >
                > > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
                > > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
                > > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.
                >
                > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                > Strange.

                I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
                produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

                --
                hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
                251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.

                /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
                /// sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                \\\ download, build and distribute -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
                \\\ help me help AIDS victims -- http://www.ICCF.nl ///
              • Jussi Hagman
                ... Not at all, Finder does some caching of the icon, so what you see is not always the real thing. I guess there was an icon all the time but Finder was just
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                  On 24.3.2006, at 10:15, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                  > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                  > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                  > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                  > Strange.

                  Not at all, Finder does some caching of the icon, so what you see is
                  not always the real thing. I guess there was an icon all the time but
                  Finder was just being too aggressive with caching.

                  --
                  Jussi Hagman, jhagman@..., iChat/AIM: jussihagman, ICQ: 54004113
                  Studentbyn 4 D 33, 20540 Åbo, Finland +358 50 56 51 170
                • Jeremy Conlin
                  ... I just use aap to download and compile the latest snapshot (7.0232) of Vim. When everything finished I got the following error 09:21:15 hamrollup ~$ vim
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                    On 3/24/06, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
                    > produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.
                    >
                    I just use aap to download and compile the latest snapshot (7.0232) of
                    Vim. When everything finished I got the following error

                    09:21:15 hamrollup ~$ vim
                    Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
                    Vim: Finished.
                    Bus error

                    However when I compile the source code manually (i.e. not using aap)
                    then it works. Also, I noticed that when compiling with aap, only one
                    of my two cores on my MacBook gets used at a time, but when compiling
                    manually, both are used. I know Bram is still working on updating
                    this, just wanted you to be aware of the issues I had. Hope it helps.
                    Thanks for the great work!
                    Jeremy
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.