Re: Vim.app directory structure

  • Alan Schmitt
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
      I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
      comments:
      /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
      "helptags ." -c quit
      /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
      Vim: No such file or directory
      make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127

      The path to the application should be:
      /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
      (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
      Resources/vim/)

      Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.

      Thanks for this nice OS X integration.

      Alan

      --
      Alan Schmitt <http://alan.petitepomme.net/>

      The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool
      happen.
      .O.
      ..O
      OOO
    • Bram Moolenaar
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
        Alan Schmitt wrote:

        > I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
        > comments:
        > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
        > "helptags ." -c quit
        > /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
        > Vim: No such file or directory
        > make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
        >
        > The path to the application should be:
        > /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
        > (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
        > Resources/vim/)

        Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
        "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
        configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
        make?

        > Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.

        An icon should already be added.

        > Thanks for this nice OS X integration.

        The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
        for any trouble.

        212. Your Internet group window has more icons than your Accessories window.

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
          On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:16:04PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
          > for any trouble.

          If this is causing problems, I have to apologize, since I suggested
          the change and have not had time to test it yet. (Among other things, I
          am trying to sort out the various TeX file types before vim 7.0 goes
          beta.) The goal of the change is to make it possible for users to
          associate file types to Vim.app . (This worked for me in testing, but I
          also had a modified Info.plist, so I am not sure that the change in
          directory structure is enough.)

          --Benji Fisher
        • Alan Schmitt
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 22, 2006
            On 22 mars 06, at 12:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > Alan Schmitt wrote:
            >
            >> I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
            >> comments:
            >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
            >> "helptags ." -c quit
            >> /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
            >> Vim: No such file or directory
            >> make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
            >>
            >> The path to the application should be:
            >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
            >> (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
            >> Resources/vim/)
            >
            > Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
            > "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
            > configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
            > make?

            I did:
            cvs checkout
            cd vim7/src
            ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge
            make
            make install

            with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs). The error was
            when running "make install".

            Maybe the problem is with the definition of "prefix" at the beginning
            of the install:

            srcdir=`pwd`; make -f Makefile installruntime \
            VIMEXE=$srcdir/Vim \
            prefix=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim \
            VIMRTLOC=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

            >> Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.
            >
            > An icon should already be added.

            I see this in the make:
            cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns

            but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
            Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
            an icon to the app:

            schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
            Contents
            schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
            Contents Icon

            >> Thanks for this nice OS X integration.
            >
            > The way to fill the Vim.app directory changed recently, thus watch out
            > for any trouble.

            I'll keep my eyes opened.

            Thanks again.

            Alan

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 23, 2006
              Alan Schmitt wrote:

              > On 22 mars 06, at 12:16, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >
              > > Alan Schmitt wrote:
              > >
              > >> I have just compiled Vim.app on a Mac, and I have a couple quick
              > >> comments:
              > >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim -u NONE -esX -c
              > >> "helptags ." -c quit
              > >> /bin/sh: line 1: /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/bin/
              > >> Vim: No such file or directory
              > >> make[2]: *** [vimtags] Error 127
              > >>
              > >> The path to the application should be:
              > >> /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/MacOS/Vim
              > >> (there is no "bin" directory in /Applications/Vim.app/Contents/
              > >> Resources/vim/)
              > >
              > > Can you explain how you managed to get the executable name
              > > "Contents/Resources/vim/bin/Vim"? It doesn't happen for me. What
              > > configure options did you use or what changes to the Makefile did you
              > > make?
              >
              > I did:
              > cvs checkout
              > cd vim7/src
              > ./configure --enable-pythoninter --with-features=huge
              > make
              > make install
              >
              > with no change to the Makefiles (fresh out of cvs). The error was
              > when running "make install".
              >
              > Maybe the problem is with the definition of "prefix" at the beginning
              > of the install:
              >
              > srcdir=`pwd`; make -f Makefile installruntime \
              > VIMEXE=$srcdir/Vim \
              > prefix=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim \
              > VIMRTLOC=/Applications/Vim.app/Contents/Resources/vim/runtime

              OK, apparently the help tags file didn't get updated when building Vim.
              I suppose this happens when you built Vim before and the "runtime" link
              was already present.

              I'll move that from "make" to "make install". That is more logical
              anyway.

              > >> Another quick comment: it would be great to add an icon as well.
              > >
              > > An icon should already be added.
              >
              > I see this in the make:
              > cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
              >
              > but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
              > Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
              > an icon to the app:
              >
              > schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
              > Contents
              > schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
              > Contents Icon

              I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
              no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
              copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

              --
              A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle.

            • Alan Schmitt
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                On 23 mars 06, at 12:06, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                >> I see this in the make:
                >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
                >>
                >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                >> an icon to the app:
                >>
                >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                >> Contents
                >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                >> Contents Icon
                >
                > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
                > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
                > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.

                I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                Strange.

                Alan

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                  Alan Schmitt wrote:

                  > >> I see this in the make:
                  > >> cp gui_mac.icns Vim.app/Contents/Resources/gui_mac.icns
                  > >>
                  > >> but it does not seem to create the Icon file at the top of the
                  > >> Vim.app dir. Here is what I got before and after I copied and pasted
                  > >> an icon to the app:
                  > >>
                  > >> schmitta@top src % ls Vim.app
                  > >> Contents
                  > >> schmitta@top src % ls /Applications/Vim.app
                  > >> Contents Icon
                  > >
                  > > I have no idea where the "Icon" file or directory came from. There is
                  > > no reference to it in the Makefile. I think the gui_mac.icns file is
                  > > copied to the Contents/Resources directory and that's it.
                  >
                  > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                  > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                  > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                  > Strange.

                  I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
                  produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

                  251. You've never seen your closest friends who usually live WAY too far away.

                • Jussi Hagman
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006
                    On 24.3.2006, at 10:15, Alan Schmitt wrote:
                    > I created the Icon file myself when giving an icon to Vim. Without
                    > this file, there was no icon. But now it seems the problem has gone
                    > away (i.e. I removed the Icon file and I still have Vim's icon).
                    > Strange.

                    Not at all, Finder does some caching of the icon, so what you see is
                    not always the real thing. I guess there was an icon all the time but
                    Finder was just being too aggressive with caching.

                  • Jeremy Conlin
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 24, 2006

                      > I was working on making "aap install" work yesterday and the Vim.app it
                      > produced does have an Icon. I don't know why it failed for you before.

                      I just use aap to download and compile the latest snapshot (7.0232) of
                      Vim. When everything finished I got the following error

                      09:21:15 hamrollup ~$ vim
                      Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
                      Vim: Finished.
                      Bus error

                      However when I compile the source code manually (i.e. not using aap)
                      then it works. Also, I noticed that when compiling with aap, only one
                      of my two cores on my MacBook gets used at a time, but when compiling
                      manually, both are used. I know Bram is still working on updating
                      this, just wanted you to be aware of the issues I had. Hope it helps.
                      Thanks for the great work!
                      Jeremy